• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Motorcycle parked in cross hatch lines

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

elliesan77

What is the name of your state? CA

My husband just bought a motorcycle. We went out for dinner to Buca di Beppos with my family- us on the motorcycle and everyone else followed in a car. There was a large cross hatch section in the front of the parking lot that we parked in. It was next to a handicap spot- but was much larger than the walkway type you usually see (also, other cross hatches that are narrower next to handicap spots have 'no parking' clearly painted on them and this one did not so we thought it was legal). There were free parking spots available, but we've been told by friends that people get upset when motorcylcles take up a spot and we'd seen motorcycles parked in cross hatches before.

Well, we came out and had a parking ticket for $345!! I went back and talked with the restaurant manager and he told me he sympathized with me that they have been having an ongoing battle with the city ticketing everything parked near their entrance. They'd even had a delivery truck of theirs ticketed. I'm wondering how I can fight this or at least have it reduced! We are a single income family- and we literally don't have an extra $300 to pay this ticket. help!

CdwJava

The procedure to contest the ticket or who to contact is on the back of the parking ticket.

No, there will be no way to reduce it. You can likely contest the citation after ponying up the fine up front (in case you lose, the fine is paid), but you really have no legal grounds to stand on unless they cited the wrong section.

In general, these are done deals.

What section was he cited for?

- Carl

CdwJava

elliesan77 said:
It was cited as CVC 22507.8 C (2)
22507(c) It is unlawful for any person to park or leave standing any
vehicle, including a vehicle displaying a special identification
license plate issued pursuant to Section 5007 or a distinguishing
placard issued pursuant to Section 22511.55 or 22511.59, in either of
the following places:

(2) In any area of the pavement adjacent to a parking stall or
space designated for disabled persons or disabled veterans that is
marked by crosshatched lines and is thereby designated, pursuant to
any local ordinance, for the loading and unloading of vehicles parked
in the stall or space.

So, if it is adjacent to a disabled parking space or stall, then the violation would seem to be valid.

- Carl

Ozark_Sophist

The cross hatch is part of the handicap accessible space. Unless the space is of a universal design (132" wide or so), a van accessible space has a 96" access aisle (cross hatch) and a regular accessible space has 60". It is important to not part in these space because, as my friends who utilitze such spaces demonstrate, the ramp for the wheelchair from the side door of the van extends at least 4 feet into the cross hatch. Add the additional space to manuver the chair at the end of the ramp, the full 96" is necessary. My friend has had to wait hours for someone to move their vehicle/motorcycle so he can use his ramp--meanwhile his family worries.

Last edited:
Well color me orange and make me into a pie

In doubt do not park. Especially since we are going to be pounding on some pounds these days .Walk a little, why are you driviing? i have not driven for quite awhile! My goodness daisies let the Hogs have their days while they can. Man oh manly days in the 60's I had a man with a Hog with some leather that could do some damage, well I do go on.

Just quit your whining and just do what you should. Or do what you shouldn’t and don't whine OKAY. (Okay I have been in the wine, but I thought I could bring the mailman around more often if I joined the wine of the (hic) month (HIC) CLUB. H E ISS sooo cute.shhhh.

Got to go steal a pie off a back of a truck. Don’t tell Carl. I just Love him. The windowsills do not work for stealing pies anymore. The Birds have taken over the city too much poo and my kitties are not as spry as they used to be they do not scare them off as much.
Hey Kitties. On floor number 5 they are doing pork chops! ATTAAAACK!

Am I out dated? Gonna on My Katie Holmes wig, I hear the Insane ones go for that. weeeeee
HEE HEE who shops anymore?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">