• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Motorcycle Parking Ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dalongboarda

What is the name of your state? Hawaii

Here is what happened. I work where every stall is a metered stall in kaimuki. When I first started there I would pay the meter just as much as everyone else but soon got tired of carrying quarters everywhere and noticed that another motorcycle was parked in a handicapped blue hash zone. From that point on I parked there. It has been over two months, and no tickets, then today I get one. I understand the reason for the the hash marks, but the catch is, is that I pull up far enough to where my back tire is even with the parking curb. I am in no way preventing them from using their chair lifts, I am essentially opening parking for someone else, by parking in a completely unused space.

I actually have two questions. The first would be to determine if there is an error on a parking ticket I recieved, for model and type it just says motorcycle, is that sufficient or was the cop being lazy and is now the ticket is false.

The second would be how strong of a case could I argue, I am willing to admit that I was wrong. But a ticket? Come on.

Any help is appreciated.

Brooks

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state? Hawaii

Here is what happened. I work where every stall is a metered stall in kaimuki. When I first started there I would pay the meter just as much as everyone else but soon got tired of carrying quarters everywhere and noticed that another motorcycle was parked in a handicapped blue hash zone. From that point on I parked there. It has been over two months, and no tickets, then today I get one. I understand the reason for the the hash marks, but the catch is, is that I pull up far enough to where my back tire is even with the parking curb. I am in no way preventing them from using their chair lifts, I am essentially opening parking for someone else, by parking in a completely unused space.

I actually have two questions. The first would be to determine if there is an error on a parking ticket I recieved, for model and type it just says motorcycle, is that sufficient or was the cop being lazy and is now the ticket is false.

The second would be how strong of a case could I argue, I am willing to admit that I was wrong. But a ticket? Come on.

Any help is appreciated.

Brooks
You got a ticket for parking in a handicap spot - you admit that you did it...I'm not sure I understand your defense. Pay the ticket and sin no more...

dalongboarda

The Ticket

First off the ticket is $160. Secondly, the reason they give those tickets is becuase the people that park there are usually obstructing the proper use of the handicap stall, I was not obstructing anything. I am just trying to figure out if it is worth my time to submit this arguement to the judge, even to only get the fine reduced. Or is it all a lost cause.

Ozark_Sophist

The cross hatch is designated as part of the handicap space per the ADA. It doesn't matter if you were obstructing anything--you were parked illegally in a handicap space. You are fortunate the fine is only $160. Around here, the fine is much higher and there have been some efforts to raise the fine to $1000.

justalayman

Secondly, the reason they give those tickets is becuase the people that park there are usually obstructing the proper use of the handicap stall, I was not obstructing anything.
very wrong. the reason the tickets are issued is because somebody was self serving enough to have parked anywhere within the demarcation of the handicap parking spot while not having the appropriate permit.

Or is it all a lost cause.
of course it's a lost cause but I would still tell the judge he is full of stuffing. Heck, those handicap people are always getting the good spots and why?, just because they have difficulty walking? Hell, the exercise will probably do them good. Tell the judge to stuff it.

dalongboarda

I am not asking you to tell me how self serving I am, I already know the answer to that question. Secondly, why do you think the "demarcation of the handicapped parking spot" is there? It is so they have enough room to use their chair lift. Why else would they need four feet on both sides of the parking spot? I am not asking for your critique on my morals, because I don't care how moral I am in your eyes. My grandmother has Multiple Sclerosis and uses the handicapped spot (legally). But sometimes people park in those spots illegally, that's life. So what they have to walk, or Roll (Walk and Roll, ha-ha) the extra feet, including my grandmother. That is life!

Back to the main point once again and maybe I can get a direct answer from someone without getting morally critiqued about it. So once again, does anyone think that if I write a letter stating how sorry I am, and that I assumed because I wasn't impeding on anyone else’s parking spot, and was out of the way, that I thought it would be ok. I now realize that I used bad judgment, and it won't happen again.

Judges drop or lower ticket prices all the time; just because someone takes the time to write the letter and argue their case. Is this a good argument (obviously elaborating a little more), or can someone else help offer a better argument for me to present?

Thanks For Your Input
Brooks

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am not asking you to tell me how self serving I am, I already know the answer to that question. Secondly, why do you think the "demarcation of the handicapped parking spot" is there? It is so they have enough room to use their chair lift. Why else would they need four feet on both sides of the parking spot? I am not asking for your critique on my morals, because I don't care how moral I am in your eyes. My grandmother has Multiple Sclerosis and uses the handicapped spot (legally). But sometimes people park in those spots illegally, that's life. So what they have to walk, or Roll (Walk and Roll, ha-ha) the extra feet, including my grandmother. That is life!

Back to the main point once again and maybe I can get a direct answer from someone without getting morally critiqued about it. So once again, does anyone think that if I write a letter stating how sorry I am, and that I assumed because I wasn't impeding on anyone else’s parking spot, and was out of the way, that I thought it would be ok. I now realize that I used bad judgment, and it won't happen again.

Judges drop or lower ticket prices all the time; just because someone takes the time to write the letter and argue their case. Is this a good argument (obviously elaborating a little more), or can someone else help offer a better argument for me to present?

Thanks For Your Input
Brooks
You received a direct, accurate, no-nonsense answer in the first reply to your post. I am sorry, but this is not the "free answers you want to hear" board.

justalayman

correct, but that didn;t stop OP from heading over to the other "unjust handicap parking ticket" and crying about the unfair treatment they both received, both on this forum and in receiving a ticket.

Last edited by a moderator:

dalongboarda

Decision Made, Thanks

Thank you for your advice.

I have decided that I am going admit that I was wrong but explain any mitigating circumstances. The way I see it, it can only help. If I don't write the paper then I am forced to pay the full fine. If I take the 20 minutes to explain my mitigating circumstances, and the judge drops it even 20 bucks it was worth it. If he denies it then I have to pay the full amount and all I lost was 20 minutes. As far as the "free answers you want to hear board", I don't quite understand. Any answer I get on here is free, excluding internet cost, electricity, etcetera.. I don't know your profession, but if I had to guess from that your last response about "free answers" comment you're probably a lawyer, or someone in that field who typically charges to give out any helpful advice. Therefore you might feel threatened by such a site as this, were people just might actually want to help someone with out having to charge them an arm and a leg. So you go around and post your negative post with your arrogant claims.
The name of the site is FREEADVICE.COM. According to dictionary.com free is defined as:

free – adjective
11. provided without, or not subject to, a charge or payment. (e.g. free parking; a free sample, free advise)

Which would lead me to have to define advice..

B]ad•vice (ād-vīs') noun
Opinion about what could or should be done about a situation or problem; counsel.[/B]

In order to give advice you would advise…

ad•vise –verb (used with object)
1. to give counsel to; offer an opinion or suggestion as worth following
2. to recommend as desirable, wise, prudent

So to sum it up people that want to contribute to this web site would:
Offer an opinion or suggestion as worth following without being subjected to a charge or payment.

I don't want to have to insult your intelligence any more by having to define "a suggestion as worth following". It all boils down to constructive criticism. If you’re going to suggest something give reasons why. Or you might as well not post because you're not helping at all.

All The Best,
Brooks

dalongboarda

No

No,

But that is $20 more dollars I have in my pocket. Plus, if I show up to court, the cop will have to show. If he doesn't the case is most probably dropped. If he does show then fine, I wait for the judge to make his decision. I am assuming that this will take anywhere between 2-4 hours, so if you tally up court cost, paper work, other employee cost, and the fact that I kept some meter **** cop off the streets for another 2 hours at least is worth it. I understand that I was in the wrong, I said that before and will say it again. But I feel that there are more important things going out there in the world that a cop should be spending his time on (e.g. murderers, rapist, child molesters, drugs...) than worry about a very minor parking infraction. It probably cost them more to process everything, than it will for me by the time I get the judge to drop the total.

correct, but that didn;t stop OP from heading over to the other "unjust handicap parking ticket" and crying about the unfair treatment they both received, both on this forum and in receiving a ticket.

You just can;t help an ignorant, arrogant, a-hole, nor do I want to.
You are presuming to much. First, I don't think anything unfair (except for the handicapped)
the only problem is that people don't want to give constructive criticism. If you don't think what that person posted is "right" then just don't comment on it. Second, I do understand I broke the law, the ticket is right here in front of me. But what I do get upset at is the $160
fine for a parking infraction. I am just trying to make things cheaper on myself, that's all. And I will be back on her to let you all know what the judge said, no matter what the verdict is. Lastly, arrogant, maybe a little, an a-hole, most of the time, but I am not ignorant. Just because I lack emotion and sympathy for handicapped people does not make me ignorant, it might make me a little callous, but not ignorant.

I just spent the last 10 hours researching parking information, handicapped parking, and how to get my ticket fines lowered. and I give myself a 90% chance of succeeding.

Best,
Brooks

Ozark_Sophist

Since you were too cheap to feed the meter and park lawfully, you will take it to court and pay court costs plus the ticket. I understand. :confused:

racer72

Let's quit arguing with the OP and give him the answer he wants.

Yes, do fight the ticket, it is totally outrageous and uncalled for. The judge will laugh at the person the wrote the ticket and make that person pay a fine for their actions. The judge will apolgize to you and dismiss all charges. He will also order the police to pay for the time you spent in court and for the aggravation the ticket caused you. Plus you will get a special sticker that bars anyone from ever giving you a parking ticket again. If the judge is really apologetic, he will allow you to come up and sit in his nice leather chair and play with his gavel.

justalayman

of course it's a lost cause but I would still tell the judge he is full of stuffing. Heck, those handicap people are always getting the good spots and why?, just because they have difficulty walking? Hell, the exercise will probably do them good. Tell the judge to stuff it.
been there, done that

and I surely hope the use of "gavel" was not as a euphemism for something else:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">