• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Moving but non moving violation??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

woods_2004

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota...

I am currently a student from out of state (CA) in St. Paul, Minnesota. I was driving a few blocks from my apt. I am currently renting and I was being followed by one of the city cops. They pulled me over and little to my knowledge had me stop in the middle of the road... Which was new to me because I thought we were supposed to pull over to the side of the road. She asked me directly for my license and registration/insurance. I found eerything and gave it to her. She cited me a ticket for not changing my drivers license to a MN license. It's 180 dollars!!! She never told me why I was pulled over. What can I do?... or should I do in this case? :confused: I have been in Minnesota since march... The car I drive is in my name and is registered in MN. My license is CA. Just for a bit of the back story.

Last edited:

I_Got_Banned

Go to the MN DMV and switch your California license to MN before your court date... By being in compliance (now that you know you are supposed to switch it since you are a resident of MN) you might get some reprieve from the court.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Why is your car registered in MN but you are licensed in CA?

Most states require that residents have a license and registration from their state. You complied with the registration requirement but not the license.

Students are not exempt usually. After all, you will be spending most of 4 years in MN - that's enough to establish residency.

woods_2004

My mother lives in MN, my dad in cali. My dad gifted the car to me because he was a resident and has property out here. So I was able to just renew the tabs... so IDK... the officer who pulled me over didnt tell me why they did as well. I wasn't speeding or disobeying the law in any manner.

I_Got_Banned

How you acquired the vehicle has no bearing nor effect on the fact that you must have the vehicle registered in MN based on the fact that you are a resident of that state. Furthermore, with you being a student in MN, and since you were driving a MN registered vehicle further confirms the fact that you are a resident and therefore should have had your liense changed from a CA license to a MN license.

Lastly, you can question the officer as to why she initiated the stop however, that does not change the fact that you were driving with a CA license while residing in MN knowing full well that you should have changed your license once you've established residency MN.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">