• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Moving Into Van, Need Legal Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hector C

Oregon

Hi! So I have a year and a half left in school and am thinking about just doing the rest in my van.

Anyway, so I'm wondering if there are any legal situations I should make myself aware of? Are there vagrancy laws in oregon or something? Someone said that you have to move your car every three hours if you sleep in it, or something; would it make a difference if I had paid for my parking space (i.e. university parking?)

Thank you for any help!

edit: Fwiw; I don't think my school has a rule against sleeping in your car, and I don't think anyone would bother me if I only used my car from, say, 12:00-8:00 for sleep. But assuming in the way off chance that somebody actually confronted me and told me I couldn't sleep in my car anymore then I would just break down and get an apartment or something.

I'm wondering if there is a law against if I like put up curtains in the back windows? Is there an actually law against this type of "vagrancy?" Has anyone heard of the "move every three hours" law, or was that made up?

Last edited:

Isis1

You should look into camping grounds. That would be a very legal route. A college parking lot could end up with towing and/or tickets.

FlyingRon

Isis is right. You didn't pay for a parking space, you paid for a permission to park on campus subject to their rules. Most universities ban overnight parking. You need to find someplace that will legally allow you to park 24 hours.

OHRoadwarrior

I don't know where OR you are, but I would develop a list of rest areas and truck stops. Rotate daily. No one will think it strange to find you sleeping there for a day/night at a time.

racer72

I don't know where OR you are, but I would develop a list of rest areas and truck stops. Rotate daily. No one will think it strange to find you sleeping there for a day/night at a time.
Having just driven through Oregon a few weeks ago, the rest areas of the state specifically ban sleeping and over night parking in rest areas. The rest areas I stopped at limited visits to a maximum of 1 to 2 hours. Truck stops would be a better option.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">