+ Reply to Thread
    fueledbymusic is offline Member

My car breaks down then rid before fix it tickets

What is the name of your state? California

What happens here?

I received 2 fix it tickets. One for no front license plate and the other for tinted windows.

2 weeks after getting this ticket. My car broke down, and now I need a new engine. So to this point its not running. I decided that its not worth the money to fix my car. So I decided to rid the car. I basically sold it for the parts. I sold it to some guy on the street for $300.

Now the question: Whats going to happen now, since I have not signed off the ticket If I don't even have the car anymore.
    seniorjudge is offline Senior Member
    Your only choice is to pay the tickets.
    There are two rules for success:

(1) Never tell everything you know.
    CourtClerk is offline Senior Member
    Sitting at the computer probably rolling my eyes at your post
    Schedule an arraignment for the tickets. Take the copy of the bill of sale and explain the situation to the judge. If you have PROOF that you no longer have the vehicle (and often they will run DMV to make sure the car is no longer registered to you), then they will usually make you pay the dismissal fee and move on.
    seniorjudge is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CourtClerk View Post
    Schedule an arraignment for the tickets. Take the copy of the bill of sale and explain the situation to the judge. If you have PROOF that you no longer have the vehicle (and often they will run DMV to make sure the car is no longer registered to you), then they will usually make you pay the dismissal fee and move on.
    You are 100% correct.

HOWEVER, the following is the reason I gave my answer:

Quote Originally Posted by fueledbymusic View Post
    ...So I decided to rid the car. I basically sold it for the parts. I sold it to some guy on the street for $300.
    There are two rules for success:

(1) Never tell everything you know.
    CourtClerk is offline Senior Member
    Sitting at the computer probably rolling my eyes at your post
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorjudge View Post
    You are 100% correct.

HOWEVER, the following is the reason I gave my answer:
    Understandable, that's why it will be imperative to prove he no longer has the vehicle and transferred title. Even if he only sold it for parts, he should have some proof of it.

I was in a similar position about 10 years ago. I got a fix it ticket for registration, but the POS car I was driving at the time could not pass smog unless basically I bought a new engine (way out of my budget). In my case, I didn't sell it for parts to some dude on the street, but I did trade it in at the dealer for $100 for another car. Took the sales contract that stated the trade in and the rest of the paperwork for the dealer and the judge dismissed the ticket (and I didn't even have to pay the dismissal fee). He even congratulated me for getting out of that darn car (his daughter had a similar problem with the same type of car)

What happened to me at the end!

As the poster of "having got rid of my car before fix it tickets"

This is what happened at the END!

I went to court before a judge (he was one of those NON friendly ones)
    I explained to him my situation. He just told me. "So your car broke down ehh. Oh well, the bail amount is $265. Are you able to pay this TODAY?!

"Figures!" I say to myself! Then I tell the judge "Well, I guess I can pay" Then the judge asks me "How do you plea?, Guilty, or Not Guilty?" OF course I said "Not Guilty"

I wait in line for a couple hours to pay $265. VERY unhappy about it! The clerk sets up my trial day. On 8-12-08. OH WOOW! Right on my birthday! The crappiest day!

So, unhappy for the next month! Then THIS DAY COMES! I enter court.

For me to find out that the cop did not show up!!!!!!!!!!!! Judge DISMISSES ticket! COOL!!!

Ends up being the BEST DAY EVER! And being the best day for this to happen to me.... My birthday! WOOW that was a nice present! I will get my $265 BACK!
    soleet is offline Junior Member

must pay full fine

I got a fix-it ticket when I was planning to trade in my car soon. I just went to the court to ask if that will get me out of the fix-it ticket, they said no. I need to show the corrected brake light and get that signed off and pay $25 administrative fee, or pay the full fine of ~$170. The clerk said I could ask for a judge for a reduction, but that they typically do not give reductions.
    The Occultist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by soleet View Post
    I got a fix-it ticket when I was planning to trade in my car soon. I just went to the court to ask if that will get me out of the fix-it ticket, they said no. I need to show the corrected brake light and get that signed off and pay $25 administrative fee, or pay the full fine of ~$170. The clerk said I could ask for a judge for a reduction, but that they typically do not give reductions.
    Please do not post in a thread that is over a year old.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by The Occultist View Post
    Please do not post in a thread that is over a year old.
    Im the OP here. The post maybe a year old. BUT that was valuble info for me!!!! Still