• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My car got towed from public street without any "no parking" signs posted.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

misharussia

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

My car got towed from public street without any "no parking" signs posted. Am I at fault?
I was parked at the public street on Monday Jan 30, 2012 around 5pm- across a public school. Closest sign said "no parking 8am-4:30 pm". I parked even a bit beyond the pole with the sign and there were no other signs around. No any kind of notification of permit requirements no other "no parking" signs temporary or permanent. So the question is, was the tow legal and what Chapter or Municipal code of Chicago does "failure to post appropriate parking signs" or "illegal tow" falls under. I searched under parking regulations and found nothing use full. Do I have a case?

update1: I didnt got a ticket, my car just got towed! The receipt i got after retrieving my vehicle states "Contractual Reason for Tow: No Permit".
update2: http://i44.tinypic.com/2ng520g.jpg my car was parked right after the pole with the sign where the bag is laying.

Last edited:

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

My car got towed from public street without any "no parking" signs posted. Am I at fault?
I was parked at the public street on Monday Jan 30, 2012 around 5pm- across a public school. Closest sign said "no parking 8am-4:30 pm". I parked even a bit beyond the pole with the sign and there were no other signs around. No any kind of notification of permit requirements no other "no parking" signs temporary or permanent. So the question is, was the tow legal and what Chapter or Municipal code of Chicago does "failure to post appropriate parking signs" or "illegal tow" falls under. I searched under parking regulations and found nothing use full. Do I have a case?
**A: what section of the code was referenced and what specific infraction was stated on the ticket? It appears that your car was parked in a no parking zone.

misharussia

I didn't get a ticket, my car just got towed! The receipt i got after retrieving my vehicle states "Contractual Reason for Tow: No Permit".

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I didnt got a ticket, my car just got towed! The receipt i got after retrieving my vehicle states "Contractual Reason for Tow: No Permit".
It looks to me like all of Chicago requires permits for parking in residential zones...sounds like you are out of luck.

misharussia

there are no permit requirement signs, nor is there a permit available for my apartment, its just free parking from 4:30 pm to 8am on the school days. If youre talking about city sticker, well I have a military out of state license plate that requires no such sticker.

Zigner

there are no permit requirement signs, nor is there a permit available for my apartment, its just free parking from 4:30 pm to 8am on the school days. If youre talking about city sticker, well I have a military out of state license plate that requires no such sticker.
You are mistaken.

You must buy a city vehicle sticker if you own or lease a car and live in the City of Chicago more than 30 days out of the year, regardless of where the car is registered. You have 30 days from the day you move to Chicago or purchase a car to buy a vehicle sticker. In addition, if the vehicle parks on the street in a residential parking zone, the vehicle must either display an annual residential parking sticker (number is printed on your annual vehicle sticker) or a daily residential guest pass (valid for 24 hours).

(from: http://www.chicityclerk.com/residential_parking/index.html)

misharussia

thanks i will check out this web site, however, it is not a residential area fyi. I know exactly what you're talking about and residential areas are all have street signs announcing which permit number is needed to park legally. There are no such signs anywhere within couple miles.

Zigner

thanks i will check out this web site, however, it is not a residential area fyi. I know exactly what you're talking about and residential areas are all have street signs announcing which permit number is needed to park legally. There are no such signs anywhere within couple miles.
Do you have a city sticker?

http://www.chicityclerk.com/licenses/citystickers.html

JennK2009

Ah, once again everyone is proclaiming the OP is out of luck. Not so fast, this is Chicago, after all.

My best advice is to contact your alderman's (ward 1?) office and inquire there about special permits needed where you were parked.

What kind of vehicle do you have and do you have Illinois plates? Why do you say that area is not residential?

Zigner

Some more information:

http://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en/depts/streets/provdrs/traffic/svcs/overview_of_towingprocess.html
(You can request a hearing when you get your car out of the impound yard.)

Zigner

Ah, once again everyone is proclaiming the OP is out of luck. Not so fast, this is Chicago, after all.

My best advice is to contact your alderman's (ward 1?) office and inquire there about special permits needed where you were parked.

What kind of vehicle do you have and do you have Illinois plates? Why do you say that area is not residential?
OP has already clarified that he is NOT in a residential parking zone. OP has also stated that he does NOT have a city sticker (as required.) OP needs to gather more information...we can only go by what we get from the OP.

Had you read further, you'd realize these things :rolleyes:

JennK2009

From Zigner's suggestion: This was a quote from their site:

"Vehicles are only towed if the Departments of Revenue, Police, Streets and Sanitation, Aviation or the Office of the City Clerk in the form of a written tow report request a tow."

I'm wondering if there was a special event/emergency there? It appears someone may have requested this tow. Is this in Logan Square?

Call your alderman, or log onto EveryBlock, that has become a great source of neighborhood information of what has been or is happening in your neighborhood.

JennK2009

Yeah right, Zig. That's like you asking in your first response, "Why did you get towed?" That's what the OP is asking.

I'm from Chicago and bet I have better knowledge than you. As a matter of fact, I'm very well versed in parking tickets.

That's why I ride a bicycle - Free parking!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">