• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My neighbor posted a fraudulent handicapped sign to reserve her spot!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Alimo7411

It's been an ongoing battle with my neighbor over her "entitled" spot bc she's lived here for 20 years. She's done everything from posted cardboard signs over and over again in front of the spot, to stealing DOT orange cones and placing them in said spot everytime she leaves. (My husband is a cop and has confronted her about where she's acquired these cones). This has been going on for 2 years now and she's managed to bully everyone out of parking there.
So today, a handicapped parking sign appeared in front of "her spot", tied up with zip cords and with NO blue lines or symbols painted on the ground. She is clearly 100% not handicapped.
My husband has tried to contact his fellow officers to find out what the actual law is (we live out of his jurisdiction). But as of yet, he hasn't gotten a concrete answer.
I guess I have a few questions..
Is there any kind of list of "approved handicapped spots"? If so, how would we find this?
What would the consequences be if someone were to post a fake or stolen handicapped sign?
Who would we call? (My husband said he would go knock on their door and ask them. Most people would play dumb and take it down at that point, but we know she wouldn't. Beyond that, he wasn't really sure what he would do, as he's fairly new on the job)
I appreciate any advice/feedback. Thank you!

CdwJava

What state is this?

Keep in mind that a person cannot simply post their own handicapped sign. If the city or other governing body did not put the sign up (assuming this is on a public street), then the sign is entirely unenforceable.

Alimo7411

Thanks for your response. It's in NJ. It's sort of an apartment/townhouse complex. There is an association, but everyone owns their units and the association covers like 15 different complexes, so they aren't really present.
We only have 2 spots close to our door, then there's a lot on the other side of the building. She put the handicapped sign in one of these spots of course.
I guess I'm wondering how I can find out if it's legit. I'm 99% certain it's not, but don't want to take a chance of getting a $300 ticket.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
You could just be passive aggressive and start inviting friends with handicapped placards over for tea/coffee. What would she do if someone who was actually handicapped parked in "her" spot? Does she take the sign down when she parks, since she's not handicapped?

So, basically, you want to use the 2 spots convenient for you, and she gets nothing, and you think that's fair? How about you use *1* spot and take turns with your husband as to which one of you young kids gets the extra exercise of walking from the other lot. The world isn't all about you.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I've read this story on a couple of boards now, and I have a question.

What evidence do you have, other than your own assumption, that SHE put the sign up?

CdwJava

I'm guessing the HOA or management would know if they put up the sign. And if the annoying neighbor does not have their own placard, call the cops and ask for a cite to be issued.

quincy

... My husband has tried to contact his fellow officers to find out what the actual law is (we live out of his jurisdiction). But as of yet, he hasn't gotten a concrete answer.

... Is there any kind of list of "approved handicapped spots"? If so, how would we find this?
What would the consequences be if someone were to post a fake or stolen handicapped sign?
Who would we call? ...
Here are links to New Jersey's Handicapped Parking laws and a link to the penalties for making false statements, with information on who to contact to report an abuse of the handicapped parking laws:

http://www.state.nj.us/humanservices/dds/documents/DDS_HandicappedPkg.pdf

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Vehicle/handicapped_abuse.htm

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">