• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

my own car towed in front of my own house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WBinzel

What is the name of your state? California

Does anyone know the laws on parking in front of your house?
I had my 4runner parked in the same spot in front of my house for months, and nothing ever happened to it. it never moved because the engine was broken. after i got rid of that car i got another car, it hadnt been registered since 2003, but i paid for everything current, it just wouldnt pass smog, so i couldnt get tags. but i do have proof that everything is paid for. it has been sitting right in front of my house because i cant drive it and because i cant drive it the battery died so it wont even turn on. so we have been just getting parts ordered and working on the car trying to get it to pass smog. i leave for less than 2 weeks and find out my car has been towed because its tags arent current. i called the police dept and all they said was it got towed bc the tags arent current and i should have received a temporary registration from the dmv. i havent been able to get my car out yet because they are charging an arm and a leg already just to get it out and i cant afford it yet and i really dont want them to sell my car. i dont think its fair that you are not allowed to park your car in front of your own house just because the tags arent current. and i dont think its fair for them to be able to sell my car especially if its already paid off, its not like they have a lien against me. and why wasnt i offered a temporary registration from the dmv when they knew it couldnt pass smog. all i ever even heard of is day passes, which i was using when i would look for parts when i first got the car. and in california drivers handbook it doesnt say you cant park in front of your own house. can someone help me. oh and if this makes a difference, it is an actual neighborhood that you have to drive into.. its not a house thats off of a busy street.

Last edited:

CdwJava

WBinzel said:
i leave for less than 2 weeks and find out my car has been towed because its tags arent current. i called the police dept and all they said was it got towed bc the tags arent current and i should have received a temporary registration from the dmv.
Yep. It was towed pursuant to CVC 22651(o):

22651. Any peace officer, as defined in Chapter 4.5 (commencing
with Section 830) of Title 3 of Part 2 of the Penal Code, or any
regularly employed and salaried employee, who is engaged in directing
traffic or enforcing parking laws and regulations, of a city,
county, or jurisdiction of a state agency in which a vehicle is
located, may remove a vehicle located within the territorial limits
in which the officer or employee may act, under any of the following
circumstances:

(o) (1) When any vehicle is found or operated upon a highway, any
public lands, or an offstreet parking facility with a registration
expiration date in excess of six months before the date it is found
or operated on the highway, public lands, or the offstreet parking
facility. However, whenever the vehicle is occupied, only a peace
officer, as defined in Chapter 4.5 (commencing with Section 830) of
Title 3 of Part 2 of the Penal Code, may remove the vehicle. For the
purposes of this subdivision, the vehicle shall be released to the
owner or person in control of the vehicle only after the owner or
person furnishes the storing law enforcement agency with proof of
current registration and a currently valid driver's license to
operate the vehicle.

Since it was on the street with registration expired more than 6 months, it was towed.

i havent been able to get my car out yet because they are charging an arm and a leg already just to get it out and i cant afford it yet and i really dont want them to sell my car.
On day 31 they can begin lien sale procedures on the car. That will tack on even MORE money to get it out.

i dont think its fair that you are not allowed to park your car in front of your own house just because the tags arent current. and i dont think its fair for them to be able to sell my car especially if its already paid off, its not like they have a lien against me. and why wasnt i offered a temporary registration from the dmv when they knew it couldnt pass smog.
Whether you think it is fair or not is irrelevent. If the car is not running, and there is no temporary registration issued by the DMV, then it must be towed to private property (i.e. on to your driveway).

and in california drivers handbook it doesnt say you cant park in front of your own house.
Of course you can park in front of your house ... however, a vehicle WITHOUT lawful registration cannot even BE on the public roadway.

can someone help me. oh and if this makes a difference, it is an actual neighborhood that you have to drive into.. its not a house thats off of a busy street.
You need to get a temporary registration from the DMV to get it out of impound. Then, you need to bend Heaven and Earth to get the darn thing to pass smog. THEN! You have to get the valid registration card.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">