• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is my travel trailer OK on driveway?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
So I got an unexpected slap on my face today, with a ticket for parking my van on my lawn on my OWN property. Sad part is I rarely park on my lawn.

But anyway. At the same time, just today I moved my travel trailer parked on the street in front of my house, after having the trailer parked there for about a month. I suspect that someone possibly call the cops to complain about my trailer, but I just happen to put my trailer on the driveway, right on the hour that cop answered the call.

When I came back from a store in my van. I just simply drove the van into the lawn next to trailer, out of instincts. Then the parking enforcer gave me the ticket. NO ticket for trailer on driveway!

Now for my question. Now that I'm getting very wary here. One thing I hate is when I have someone sneaking up on me and give me a slap on my face with a ticket for something I don't even realise its illegal. Like my trailer. Is my trailer OK parked on my driveway. Evidently I didn't get a ticket for the trailer.

So all in all. Will my trailer be OK parked on the driveway for a while. "Without a policeman sneaking up and slapping on my face?"

CdwJava

So I got an unexpected slap on my face today, with a ticket for parking my van on my lawn on my OWN property. Sad part is I rarely park on my lawn.
What code section?

And, since this is probably a municipal code violation and NOT a California Vehicle Code section, what city do you live in?

Whether you can park a trailer in the driveway or on your lawn, or even leave it parked in front of your house - is something that is subject to local ordinances. You will have to check with the police to find out what you must do.

Many jurisdictions will essentially require that you place trailers into storage or find some way to put them in your BACK yard.

Code = Rmc18.58.040-c6a I is on a small white piece of paper. Like from an adding machine roll. (If that even matters for answering a question LOL)

That was for the van parking on my lawn. Im in Rialto CA

I'm not worried about the van now. I'm just gonna "surrender"
But wondering about my trailer on the driveway. I know nothing about if there is law of any kind for driveway parking in my town. Just don't want to be sneaked up and slapped on my face for any new thing I don't know.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The trailer should be ok so long as it's parked on the pavement:

http://library.municode.com/HTML/16575/level2/TIT10VETR_CH10.28PA.html

Here is the code section you were charged with violating:

http://library.municode.com/HTML/16575/level2/TIT18ZO_CH18.58OREPA.html (you'll have to scroll down to your actual section.) I honestly don't see why you were charged with this based on your van being parked on the grass. You should have been charged with 10.28.292A

10.28.292 - Requirements for the parking or storing of vehicles on residential property.

A. The parking or storing of motor vehicles, recreational vehicles or similar vehicles on lawns, landscaped areas, vacant land or other non-paved surfaces in residential zones is prohibited.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
One thing I hate is when I have someone sneaking up on me and give me a slap on my face with a ticket for something I don't even realise (sic) its illegal.
You're being overly dramatic. No one was sneaking up on you. You violated the law and you received a ticket for it. The fact that you did not know it was a violation is not an excuse - things like this happen all the time.

Zigner

You're being overly dramatic. No one was sneaking up on you. You violated the law and you received a ticket for it. The fact that you did not know it was a violation is not an excuse - things like this happen all the time.
Interestingly enough for the OP, he was NOT cited for the violation he committed. Assuming he did not violate the zoning requirements that he WAS cited for, then he may be able to successfully challenge the citation he received.

For all I know, there are a number of little things you are doing wrong right now and HAVE NO IDEA its against the law. Then when you get slapped on your face. Then YOULL be the one saying the exact same thing. :rolleyes:

Zigner

For all I know, there are a number of little things you are doing wrong right now and HAVE NO IDEA its against the law. Then when you get slapped on your face. Then YOULL be the one saying the exact same thing. :rolleyes:
No, saying "Wow, I didn't know about that" is not the same as suggesting there is some arm of the city government sneaking around simply to catch scofflaws breaking "little" laws. :rolleyes:

ShyCat

You really have a strange fixation with the idea of face-slapping. Might want to get help for that. :rolleyes:

CdwJava

The police rarely go out on their own to enforce these sorts of municipal codes. Chances are the officer responded to a complaint or report by someone else.

Zigner

The police rarely go out on their own to enforce these sorts of municipal codes. Chances are the officer responded to a complaint or report by someone else.
Yes - OP says the complaint was related to the trailer...but the OP lucked out by pulling the trailer up just before the officer got there. I guess that, since the officer was there already, s/he decided to issue the ticket for the other violation.

davew128

You violated the law and you received a ticket for it. The fact that you did not know it was a violation is not an excuse - things like this happen all the time.
No need to be harsh. Things like these types of local ordinances are easy to run afoul of since they do vary by municipality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">