• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Nassau County LI NY Parking Ticket Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Egewitz94

I received a parking ticket with the following code in Hicksville, Town of Oyster Bay Long Island:

P1202-A2C PARKED WITHIN 30'

The violation description is as follows:

P1202-A2C PARKED WITHIN 30' FLASHING SIGNAL (flashing signal is crossed out and STOP SIGN was scribbled in by officer)
NOTE: WITHIN 30FT OF STOP SIGN

Is there a real parking code/law in Nassau that says you can't park within 30 feet of a stop sign? This seems rather extreme. There isn't even a code for it, since the officer had to re-use a code for parking near a flashing light, and manually enter "stop sign". It almost makes me think he meant 30" (i.e. inches; which would seem a more reasonable distance) and just wrote in "ft" because he didn't know the difference.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

FlyingRon

It's definitely the wrong cite. P1202-A2C is parking within 30 FEET of a flashing signal. It does NOT apply to stop signs. P1202-A2B is parking within 20 (repeat TWENTY) feet of a stop sign.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Is there a real parking code/law in Nassau that says you can't park within 30 feet of a stop sign? This seems rather extreme.

It is a New York State law that falls under the Vehicle and Traffic Law. It says:

§ 1202. Stopping, standing or parking prohibited in specified places.
(a) Except when necessary to avoid conflict with other traffic, or when
in compliance with law or the directions of a police officer or official
traffic-control device, no person shall:
2. Stand or park a vehicle, whether occupied or not, except
momentarily to pick up or discharge a passenger or passengers:
c. Within thirty feet upon the approach to any flashing signal, stop
or yield sign or traffic-control signal located at the side of the
roadway, unless a different distance is indicated by official signs,
markings or parking meters;

HighwayMan

It's definitely the wrong cite. P1202-A2C is parking within 30 FEET of a flashing signal. It does NOT apply to stop signs. P1202-A2B is parking within 20 (repeat TWENTY) feet of a stop sign.

It (the parking violation) IS correct as written.

I believe the parking violation simply cites the state law and is coded a certain way (e.g. with a preceding "P") for data entry purposes. The county does not have its own parking regulations and a town or village might have their own but that type of offense would just use existing state parking statutes.

I don't see the town replicating the VTL parking statutes under its own code, so I'm pretty sure the violation is just referring to the VTL.

HighwayMan

There isn't even a code for it, since the officer had to re-use a code for parking near a flashing light, and manually enter "stop sign".
I'm going to go out on a limb and assume this was a computer printed ticket?

If so then the violation has a standard text that prints. The conditions noted in the statute are way too long to print and it's printed in short format.

The issuer wrote it in by hand to give you notice of what YOUR violation actually was.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">