• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

National Forest Day Use Fee Ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nealdent

I received a $75 ticket for allegedly not paying a $2 day use fee in the Santa Fe National Forest in New Mexico. I know this sounds like a small amount, but we are on a very tight budget, and I am considering appearing in court to argue this. I do not plan to hire a lawyer since that cost would exceed the cost of the ticket. I have the following questions:

1) Would the Forest Ranger that wrote the ticket have to appear in court? The court is located 1.5 hours from the his station, and I am inclined to go to court in case he does not appear, and the case is therefore dismissed.
2) My argument is that there was no pen to write into the envelope to deposit the $2 into an unmanned drop box. It is an undue burden to require than I carry a pen to pay their fees. I was not far from the parking area, and the Ranger could have approached me to collect the fee or I could have been given a notice to pay the fee at the Ranger's Office. Will this argument matter to a judge?
3) The ticket and the summons to U.S. District Court left a letter out of my last name. Can this result in it being dismissed?

Thank you for your assistance.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I received a $75 ticket for allegedly not paying a $2 day use fee in the Santa Fe National Forest in New Mexico. I know this sounds like a small amount, but we are on a very tight budget, and I am considering appearing in court to argue this. I do not plan to hire a lawyer since that cost would exceed the cost of the ticket. I have the following questions:

1) Would the Forest Ranger that wrote the ticket have to appear in court? The court is located 1.5 hours from the his station, and I am inclined to go to court in case he does not appear, and the case is therefore dismissed.
2) My argument is that there was no pen to write into the envelope to deposit the $2 into an unmanned drop box. It is an undue burden to require than I carry a pen to pay their fees. I was not far from the parking area, and the Ranger could have approached me to collect the fee or I could have been given a notice to pay the fee at the Ranger's Office. Will this argument matter to a judge?
3) The ticket and the summons to U.S. District Court left a letter out of my last name. Can this result in it being dismissed?

You failed to pay the $2. It's not an undue burden to ask you to carry a pen, particularly since you could just leave until you have something to write with.

Silverplum

As a devoted forester, I object to all of your post. I'm no fan of NM, either. For $2.00. Obnoxious. :rolleyes:

I'll sit back and see what impartial people say.

Zigner

As a devoted forester, I object to all of your post. I'm no fan of NM, either. For $2.00. Obnoxious. :rolleyes:

I'll sit back and see what impartial people say.
To be clear, the OP's objection is NOT the $2. The OP's objection is the burdensome requirement of possessing (whether owned or borrowed) a writing instrument (be it a pen, pencil, crayon, whatever).

:rolleyes:

xylene

Trump is going to privatize the forest and global warming is gong to reduce them to ash.

If you got the time, why not make the range waste his.

User fees are a stupid Gingrich era jerk policy btw.

Silverplum

To be clear, the OP's objection is NOT the $2. The OP's objection is the burdensome requirement of possessing (whether owned or borrowed) a writing instrument (be it a pen, pencil, crayon, whatever).

:rolleyes:
That's ok, and I always appreciate you. My objections are to all of everything he wrote, plus I believe he skipped paying on purpose, to save $2.

Zigner

There's no reason to bring politics in to what is a straight-forward question. This is simply not the place for it.

xylene

I guess you've never heard of forest fires.
Orderly cross referencing of self pay slips to license plates helps with that does it?

zigner said:
There's no reason to bring politics in to what is a straight-forward question. This is simply not the place for it.
The law is politics. OPs question hinges on 'would it be worth it' and the insensibility of the policy itself. Why not waste the government's resources even more?

Zigner

The law is politics.
No - the law is the law. Politics/politicians create/modify (etc.) the laws, but the laws themselves are not politics.

I'm not going to make any further statements on this, because THIS argument also doesn't address the OP's question(s).

Silverplum

Orderly cross referencing of self pay slips to license plates helps with that does it?

The law is politics. OPs question hinges on 'would it be worth it' and the insensibility of the policy itself. Why not waste the government's resources even more?
I suppose you've never heard of murders, kidnappings, fugitives, or missing persons in connection with/on public lands? That's where the license plates come in.

Never heard about search-and-rescue operations? I'm surprised at the gaps in your knowledge and/or logic.

You probably should leave the basement, get some fresh air: I recommend a nice long walk in a quiet, green and leafy area. It's restorative. ;)

xylene

I suppose you've never heard of murders, kidnappings, fugitives, or missing persons in connection with/on public lands? That's where the license plates come in.

Never heard about search-and-rescue operations? I'm surprised at the gaps in your knowledge and/or logic.

You probably should leave the basement, get some fresh air: I recommend a nice long walk in a quiet, green and leafy area. It's restorative. ;)
Not for 2 dollars with the threat of a huge fine to a appease your conservative user pays philosophy.

I'll just stay home and enjoy abortion being legal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">