• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help: Driving on suspended license ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

elitefinders

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Name of my State is Pennsylvania.

Hello. I am using my mom's account to ask you these questions.

My situation started in May of 2008 when I was involved in a moving violation where I received two tickets: one for the moving violation and one for not having proof of insurance. I paid the ticket for the moving violation and contested the ticket for insurance because I have always had insurance but just didn't have a current insurance card on me at the time.

A court date was set for November to contest the ticket of which I did not show due to my grandmother's illness and death that month. Penndot (dept. of motor vehicles) sent out a letter of suspension of my license that listed instructions for appealing the suspension of which I followed. I filed for an appeal to the ticket and was given a court date in August of 2009, of which I filled out paper work for a summary appeal. That particular court date was postponed until the following November of which I ended up getting the ticket dismissed when I showed proof of insurance.

Here's my dilemma: In between the time of August and November of 2009 I was pulled over for having an out of date emissions sticker and given a ticket, but was also given a ticket and had my license taken away from me and sent to Penndot for driving on a suspended license. At this time all other tickets were paid and the only thing on my record should have been the ticket for proof of insurance. I presented the officer with the summary appeal form (I was told by a clerk in the Civil Division that I could drive around with the form and show it in case I was pulled over in order to verify that I was appealing the suspension of my license and it was in the process of being rectified) and told him of my appeal date but he said I had my license suspended even though I sent in all the paperwork to contest this with Penndot months in advance with certified return receipt (to know the date it was received).

When I went to the Magistrate this past January to plead not guilty for the ticket I received for driving on a suspended license, the Magistrate gave me 3 months to gather together any paperwork which was necessary to correctly plead my case. He instructed me that the paperwork I was given in Civil Division could not be used without some other paperwork showing that my license was not suspended.

All my other tickets are paid and I have my license reinstated by Penndot but I need help in what paperwork I should present to the Magistrate in order to not be found guilty. Was the suspension of my license contingent upon the decision of me being found guilty/not guilty of the ticket for proof of insurance?

I was told the fine is anywhere from $200 - $2000. I'm a college student. Can anyone please help?

Thank you...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">