• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

need to know about SR22

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chrispyqueen899

What is the name of your state? Maine

My son got a ticket in Feb. He got pulled over for having a head light out. When he gave the officer all of the required info the officer came back to the car and let him know that the insurance card that was given, although it said it was valid, wasn't. The car was regestered in my name and insured in my name. I made the mistake of THROWING MY BILL AWAY. The officer told my son that the insurance had only been lapsed for two days but gave him a 171.00 ticket anyway.We paid the ticket and thought all was well. I even called the BMV myself and asked if an SR22 was required and I was told no because the ticket had been paid everything was taken care of. I took him today to renew his license and we were told that he has to file and SR22 by June 16th or his license will be suspended.The man at the counter said that a letter was sent out but I DID NOT GET ANY LETTER!!!! I swear. We have lived in the same place for 3 years so I know there was no mix up with the address. I have checked every part of the Maine State website and all I can find is that the person who the car is registered and insured by will have the be the one who gets the SR22. I am so heart broken over this because my son has had to fight and work hard for EVERYTHING he has ever wanted in life because I don't have money like his friends parents do. I just don't find it fare that he would have to pay for MY mistake. Can anyone help me on this? PLEASE??

Thank you all so much
Christine

P.S. I am sorry about any bad spelling and if it seems I am go on and on. I am very tired and I some times do that.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
chrispyqueen899 said:
I just don't find it fare that he would have to pay for MY mistake. Can anyone help me on this? PLEASE??
If you don't want him to pay for your mistakes, then get the SR22. Any extra money should be paid by YOU since it was YOUR mistake.

Another question is, why do you expect a letter from the DMV regarding your son's license?

moburkes

chrispyqueen899 said:
What is the name of your state? Maine

My son got a ticket in Feb. He got pulled over for having a head light out. When he gave the officer all of the required info the officer came back to the car and let him know that the insurance card that was given, although it said it was valid, wasn't. The car was regestered in my name and insured in my name. I made the mistake of THROWING MY BILL AWAY. The officer told my son that the insurance had only been lapsed for two days but gave him a 171.00 ticket anyway.We paid the ticket and thought all was well. I even called the BMV myself and asked if an SR22 was required and I was told no because the ticket had been paid everything was taken care of. I took him today to renew his license and we were told that he has to file and SR22 by June 16th or his license will be suspended.The man at the counter said that a letter was sent out but I DID NOT GET ANY LETTER!!!! I swear. We have lived in the same place for 3 years so I know there was no mix up with the address. I have checked every part of the Maine State website and all I can find is that the person who the car is registered and insured by will have the be the one who gets the SR22. I am so heart broken over this because my son has had to fight and work hard for EVERYTHING he has ever wanted in life because I don't have money like his friends parents do. I just don't find it fare that he would have to pay for MY mistake. Can anyone help me on this? PLEASE??

Thank you all so much
Christine

P.S. I am sorry about any bad spelling and if it seems I am go on and on. I am very tired and I some times do that.
If the DMV told you that he cannot get a license without an SR22, then he is the one who needs the SR22. You may also need one, but you should double-check with the DMV about that first. I understand that it was your mistake, but no one should drive a vehicle without knowing if its insured. Yes, your son would not have thought to verify with his mom about the insurance, I know.

Unfortunately, throwing out the bill doesn't mean that the insurance is not due. Its due at the same time each month, so maybe you should use a reminder calendar (or something) so that this doesn't happen again.

You say that you didn't get any letter, but how do you know that you didn't throw it out, like you threw out the insurance bill?

Ask your previous insurance company if you could reinstate the policy. Ask what it would cost to add an SR22. An SR22 itself is not expensive ($5-$50, usually). The insurance company charges a higher premium because of the need to have an SR22.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">