• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Never pulled over but ticket came in mail??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mark12point

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I received a ticket in the mail the other day for 'operated a vehicle with registration expired within 60 days'
However, I was never pulled over for this offense, I never signed anything, never saw a cop, etc.

The ticket also listed, observed by: 'marked' stopped by: 'marked' which I'm guessing means marked car

They also have a different address than my drivers license (because i was never pulled over they went with the plate lockup and used the registered address) because the car is owned by two people.

AND

the craziest thing of all is that I have a baby due on January first, the holidays, and a lot was on my mind -
SO I had forgot about the registration which expired[11/14] - and traffic citation was listed for 12/4/2014...so I did it online on Friday and when I got home from work this mysterious Citation was waiting for me!

I have a good idea how I want to approach this but pleading guilty is not one of them. I'm looking to get it dismissed for the simple fact that I was never pulled over and it says I was. To be honest I wouldn't mind as much as long as I was pulled over!

Advice please, and thanks in advance,

Mark

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I received a ticket in the mail the other day for 'operated a vehicle with registration expired within 60 days'
However, I was never pulled over for this offense, I never signed anything, never saw a cop, etc.

The ticket also listed, observed by: 'marked' stopped by: 'marked' which I'm guessing means marked car

They also have a different address than my drivers license (because i was never pulled over they went with the plate lockup and used the registered address) because the car is owned by two people.

AND

the craziest thing of all is that I have a baby due on January first, the holidays, and a lot was on my mind -
SO I had forgot about the registration which expired[11/14] - and traffic citation was listed for 12/4/2014...so I did it online on Friday and when I got home from work this mysterious Citation was waiting for me!

I have a good idea how I want to approach this but pleading guilty is not one of them. I'm looking to get it dismissed for the simple fact that I was never pulled over and it says I was. To be honest I wouldn't mind as much as long as I was pulled over!

Advice please, and thanks in advance,

Mark
When One has a babe on the way One should get Ones business in order. Pay your fine. The Court could give a fecal matter less if you have "a lot" on your mind.

Mark12point

When One has a babe on the way One should get Ones business in order. Pay your fine. The Court could give a fecal matter less if you have "a lot" on your mind.
I'm not worried about a $127.50 fine.. It happened 4 days after it was expired and I drive my wife's car all the time. Pull me over so I can acknowledge my mistake properly rather than just question the orwellian system. Now get back to work, slave.

Silverplum

I'm not worried about a $127.50 fine.. It happened 4 days after it was expired and I drive my wife's car all the time. Pull me over so I can acknowledge my mistake properly rather than just question the orwellian system. Now get back to work, slave.
Okey-dokey.

Just Blue

Wow. Slave. Really? ....

I forsee CPS in your life. :(:(

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member

Advice please, and thanks in advance

Well then you shouldn't have any problem appearing in court and making a motion to dismiss based upon failure to personally serve the ticket. Of course, in PA it may be perfectly legal to serve by mail. Why don't you confirm that by doing a little research?

Of course, you are guilty - you have no valid defense or justification for letting your registration expire. If the service was legal then you have no leg to stand on.

davew128

Of course, you are guilty - you have no valid defense or justification for letting your registration expire.
Caveat: What if the OP wasn't operating the vehicle? I agree a wise person takes care of these things well ahead of time, but seeing as the vehicle is apparently owned by 2 people, an operator ticket would require proving the person was operating the vehicle.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Caveat: What if the OP wasn't operating the vehicle? I agree a wise person takes care of these things well ahead of time, but seeing as the vehicle is apparently owned by 2 people, an operator ticket would require proving the person was operating the vehicle.
The point is moot. OP *was* operating the vehicle.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Pull me over so I can acknowledge my mistake properly...
Oh, and there is no legal requirement that mandates that you be permitted to acknowledge your mistake "properly".

I suspect that since it occurred, it is in fact legal to serve by mail. If not then it'll be a home run in court.

To quote the ubiquitous dave33, "Good luck".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">