• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New York registration sticker

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mpwrjp

What is the name of your state? NY

Hi, I received a ticket for an "unregistered vehicle under 60 days" violation. I plead not guilty and today I received a court summons. My registration expired on 2/27/08 and I received the ticket on 2/28/08. I had renewed the registration in 12/07, using the DMV web site, but unfortunately I never received the sticker and lost track of the matter. I got a new sticker right after receiving the ticket.

From what I've read, I get the impression that you're guilty if you don't have your current sticker on the windshield, with little exception to the rule. So, should I even bother appearing at court, i.e. just write a check? The court isn't even in my county, and I'd hate to waste my time and miss at least a half-day of work.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Matt

seagoing

Do you have proof that you renewed via internet.Like a print out of the transaction?or credit card recipt etc.Without a paper trail to bring to court,you are at the mercy of the court.If I remember ,and still the case,an expired reg.is not a moving vio.Is it a big money hit?if not it ight make more sense to pay it.Your day in court,might be a loooooooong day.

OP85063

If you did renew it and pay online DMV will have it on file. Give them a call and ask them for a copy of it, and they will mail or fax it to you. Use that as a form of mis communication that you did renew it and DMV did not mail it to you in time, causing you have to go and do it in person.

518-486-4714 <= call them, they should be able to give you the info on it.

GL

xylene

What is the name of your state? NY

From what I've read, I get the impression that you're guilty if you don't have your current sticker on the windshield, with little exception to the rule.
Your impression is correct.

You must have and display the proper registration.

Your car had an expired sticker - that is the violation.

Ozark_Sophist

If you did renew it and pay online DMV will have it on file. Give them a call and ask them for a copy of it, and they will mail or fax it to you. Use that as a form of mis communication that you did renew it and DMV did not mail it to you in time, causing you have to go and do it in person.
You are suggesting OP miscommunicate himself into a perjury charge in a situation where it does not matter if there even was a miscommunication.

OP85063

You are suggesting OP miscommunicate himself into a perjury charge in a situation where it does not matter if there even was a miscommunication.
"If you did renew it and pay online DMV will have it on file. Give them a call and ask them for a copy of it, and they will mail or fax it to you. Use that as a form of mis communication that you did renew it and DMV did not mail it to you in time, causing you have to go and do it in person."

Ok, Maybe you don't understand the English language too well.
"If you did renew it and pay online DMV will have it on file", DMW will have it on file that he did pay and it was renewed. "Give them a call and ask them for a copy of it, and they will mail or fax it to you." Now that DMV faxed him a copy that he was registered. He now have proof that he had valid registration on his vehicle, DMV screwed up not him. Use that as a form of mis communication that you did renew it and DMV did not mail it to you in time, causing you have to go and do it in person. Take that to the court, and show them DVM never send you the proper registration in time for your car

According to him, "I had renewed the registration in 12/07, using the DMV web site, but unfortunately I never received the sticker and lost track of the matter." So he did, and he's getting proof from DMV that he did.

Now can you explain to me how that is a perjury charge? I'm not a lawyer, but I'll like to know so I would avoid issue like this in the future.

Thanks
-OP

Last edited:

The Occultist

Whether or not it's perjury is irrelevant; the charge is not for not being registered, it's for not displaying valid tags. It is not the DMV's fault, it is the OP's fault for using a vehicle that was displaying valid tags.

OP85063

Whether or not it's perjury is irrelevant; the charge is not for not being registered, it's for not displaying valid tags. It is not the DMV's fault, it is the OP's fault for using a vehicle that was displaying valid tags.
You sir, have a point. = Ture.

But he can still try to fight it. Some times it's just easier to pay it and get it over with, if it's not a big fine, as it's not a moving violation, so there's no points involved.

The Occultist

You sir, have a point. = Ture.

But he can still try to fight it. Some times it's just easier to pay it and get it over with, if it's not a big fine, as it's not a moving violation, so there's no points involved.
Precisely, and I'm going to reiterate my point that if the OP brings proof to court that he is in compliance that he may see leniency from the court (I have personally witnessed everybody trying this to get a reduction, and a few people to get an outright dismissal).

mpwrjp

Thank you for the advice, everyone, I appreciate it. I've decided I will go to court with the DMV documentation and see what happens.

I'll post a follow-up to let you know how it turns out!

mpwrjp

Hi everyone,

Well I went to traffic court today for the issue I mentioned in this thread. It went very well - the violation was dismissed almost instantly. The only question I even had to answer was "Do you have a registration for this car?" I showed the proof of registration from the DMV and that was it.

The worst part was sitting around in the waiting room for over an hour. Once that was over, 1, 2, 3, easy as pie.

Thank you all for your advice.

Matt

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">