• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NJ - Maintenance of Lamps

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

EMKG

What is the name of your state? New Jersey
I was pulled over for the first time and ticketed because my third break light was out (the extra one in the rear window of most vehicles). I didn't even know what the officer was talking about until he explained it. I have a clear record.

Should I have been ticketed for this or given a warning? This is not a light that a single person can check as you must be applying the brake to see it and there are no warning alerts in the vehicle. The repair was made as soon as I got home.

Is this light required by NJ law? Also, the officer did not write his ID number on the ticket. Does this invalidate it?

Thanks for your help.What is the name of your state?

racer72

Is this light required by NJ law?
It is required by federal law. The ticket should list the relevent state statute.

Also, the officer did not write his ID number on the ticket. Does this invalidate it?
No.

Pay the ticket, you have no defense. It is a non moving violation and will not affect your driving record or insurance.

The Occultist

It is your responsibility to ensure the maintenance of your vehicle. If certain parts require the help of a second person, then it is up to you to get that second person.

sukharev

Fix it. If the ticket is worth it, go to court, plead not guilty and show judge the receipts for repair. Hope for leniency.

xylene

EMKG said:
Should I have been ticketed for this or given a warning?
The officer was harsh to give a ticket, but was not in the wrong. I always carry extra bulbs, and this with an explanation can save you sometimes.

This is not a light that a single person can check as you must be applying the brake to see it and there are no warning alerts in the vehicle.
1) Some vehicles indeed DO have a warning light for brake lights.

2) It is quite easy to check brake lights alone. The brake pedal does not need to be mashed to the floor for the lamps to illuminated. Only a slight pressure is sufficent. A brick rested on the pedal is one method. Don't have a brick in your car? Me neither. You can wedge an umbrella or snow brush against the pedal to check your brake lamps.

3) If you don't want to go to any of that trouble, check your brake lights against a glass/ reflective or white wall.

4) Consider buying LED bulbs that last for years.

The repair was made as soon as I got home.
That was a mistake. You should have had a pro do it. What proof do you have that it was done?

Is this light required by NJ law? Also, the officer did not write his ID number on the ticket. Does this invalidate it?
Brake lights are a pretty standard requirement. Your car has one, it should work.

I do not believe the officer error is significant.

fairisfair

racer72 said:
It is required by federal law. The ticket should list the relevent state statute.

No.

Pay the ticket, you have no defense. It is a non moving violation and will not affect your driving record or insurance.
Not arguing, but how can this light be required? older vehicles don't even have a third light.

xylene

fairisfair said:
Not arguing, but how can this light be required? older vehicles don't even have a third light.
Really old cars (1920s) have only ONE brake light installed and are still street legal (mostly).

What matters is the safety requirements when the car was made (mostly).

fairisfair

xylene said:
Really old cars (1920s) have only ONE brake light installed and are still street legal (mostly).

What matters is the safety requirements when the car was made (mostly).
so, basically, if it doesn't have one, it doesn't need one, and if it does have one, it has to be working??

racer72

fairisfair said:
so, basically, if it doesn't have one, it doesn't need one, and if it does have one, it has to be working??
Since 1986, all passenger cars built for use on public roadways in the US are required to have an operation 3rd brake light. The requirement was extended to light trucks and SUV's in 1992. As a required part of the vehicle safety equipment, it must be operational. Safety requirements must be in place for the year of manufacture, they cannot be made retroactive. It is these types of rules that have made things such as seat belts, shoulder belts, padded dashes, and airbags required on cars.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">