• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NJ Parking Ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GoIllini

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

Hi everyone. I received a parking summons for the following violation:

19.20(c) Parking within designated stalls. Where parking stalls are marked on the pavement, all vehicles shall be parked within such designated stalls.

This is in the township of Princeton, NJ:

http://clerkshq.com/default.ashx?clientsite=PrincetonBorough-nj (Article XI, Sec. 19.20)

The problem is that I wasn't parked on the street. In fact, I was parked closer to signs that said "Parking by Special Permit Only" that don't have marked stalls.

Here's a picture of the spot. This isn't perfect, but I was parked near these bike racks, but out of the way:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/afagen/8224141318/

There is a sidewalk on Prospect Ave, and Princeton has an ordinance about parking a vehicle between the sidewalk and the road:

19.20b(2) No person shall park any vehicle between the curb and sidewalk on any municipally controlled street in the borough.

However, As you can see, the sidewalk gets interrupted for about 50 feet by this University permit-only parking area.

Motorcycles have parked here for years. The regular Parking Enforcement Officer interprets the law differently than the officer who wrote this ticket. He doubles as court security and actually told the prosecutor that (1) the LEO wrote the wrong ticket if a ticket had to be written and (2) he probably wouldn't have been able to justify a ticket for 19.20b(2). I don't know how to make this legal argument- whether to go to trial and say the prosecution has in fact proved I haven't violated the law and ask the judge to find me not guilty- or do I motion for some sort of dismissal?

Any advice on fighting this ticket?

Other facts:

The ticket was written three weeks ago. I went to trial last week on it; the prosecution couldn't get the officer. I asked for a dismissal but the judge granted the continuance as part of his policy to grant one to each side. I have pictures of my motorcycle where it was parked about an hour after the ticket was written, as well as the parking area during the daytime, but the LEO's memory may be hazy.

This was a paper ticket written by an LEO, hopefully with a squad car. I may be able to get discovery on the dash cam or ask the LEO to review it. Not sure if it's worth the effort, tho.

This isn't so much about the $40 ticket; it's more about enforcing our ability to park here unharassed by the parking authorities. Every motorcycle that is parked in a space that a car can't fit, in a place that isn't in someone's way, means an extra parking space for someone in a car to use.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">