• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NJ: Warrant for summons that I have no idea about?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kwijibo

What is the name of your state? NJ

I received an "official legal notice" in the mail today from the Bound Brook Municipal Court saying that a warrant for my arrest had been issued. There is a summons listed from Sep 2006, supposedly for "parking in permit lot w/o valid permit". Problem is I've never even heard of Bound Brook before this, much less been to it, and this is the first time I'm finding out about this (never got a ticket or summons).

The notice has correct info on my name, address, DL and plate. No VIN or description of vehicle.

Would appreciate any pointers. Thanks.

PS: from another post here, I found this link: http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/rules/r7-8.htm -- should I even be getting a warrant for this?

7:8-9. Procedures on Failure to Appear
(a) Warrant or Notice.

(2) Parking Cases. In all parking cases, an arrest warrant shall only be issued if the defendant has failed to respond to two or more pending parking tickets within the jurisdiction. A warrant shall not issue when the pending tickets have been issued on the same day or otherwise within the same 24-hour period.

(b) Driving Privileges; Report to Division of Motor Vehicles.

(d) Parking Cases; Unserved Notice. In parking cases, no arrest warrant may be issued if the initial failure to appear notice is returned to the court by the post office marked to indicate that the defendant cannot be located. The court then may order the suspension of defendant's driving privileges or defendant's nonresident reciprocity privileges or prohibit the person from receiving or obtaining driving privileges until the pending matter is adjudicated or otherwise disposed of. The court shall forward the order to suspend to the Division of Motor Vehicles on a form approved by the Administrative Director of the Courts. The court shall then mark the case as closed on its records, subject to being reopened pursuant to subparagraph (e) of this rule.

patstew

What is the name of your state? NJ

I received an "official legal notice" in the mail today from the Bound Brook Municipal Court saying that a warrant for my arrest had been issued. There is a summons listed from Sep 2006, supposedly for "parking in permit lot w/o valid permit". Problem is I've never even heard of Bound Brook before this, much less been to it, and this is the first time I'm finding out about this (never got a ticket or summons).

The notice has correct info on my name, address, DL and plate. No VIN or description of vehicle.
The first thing I'd do is call them and ask for the vehicle plate and description. It may be a simple case of a tpyo in the plate.

If it's not, who else uses your car? I've dealt with countless parents, girlfriends, boyfriends, wives and husbands who are astonished to learn that their various loved ones are racking up parking tickets and not paying them.

kwijibo

The first thing I'd do is call them and ask for the vehicle plate and description. It may be a simple case of a tpyo in the plate.

If it's not, who else uses your car? I've dealt with countless parents, girlfriends, boyfriends, wives and husbands who are astonished to learn that their various loved ones are racking up parking tickets and not paying them.
Hi patstew,

Thanks for replying. I called the municipal court and spoke to someone in Violations. It turns out it was a mistake on their part, so she told me to disregard the notice and that she would delete the record/warrant in my name. I asked if there would be any written confirmation sent to me, and she said no.

Is there anything I could do to get written confirmation of this? I'm thinking of writing a letter to the court and sending it certified mail with RR, but trying to read up if there is something specific I could request for. Right now all I have is her word that it has been resolved, and I'm afraid this might come back to haunt me in the future.

The Occultist

You can continue to call and ask if there is a warrant for you. If you hear "no" then you're good. Getting written confirmation will probably do little good to the officer trying to arrest you for a warrant if he finds one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">