• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No Insurance Ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mylittleseed

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

tx

I recieved a ticket for no insurance in July. I was told by the officer that if I obtained insurance that day the ticket could be removed. He stated that I would need to bring in or mail a copy of the ticket & proof of insurance. I mailed a copy of the ticket & proof of insurance. I heard nothing in regards to non-payment of ticket & wrongly assumed ticket had been removed. Recently I recieved a letter stating I had failed to pay ticket & must now appear in municipal court or a warrant would be issued. Whatever happened to the documents lost in mail etc... they we're not processed. I am now left with the charge of failure to mantain & I assume the charge of now failing to pay the ticket.
I have my proof of insurance card from that time showing insurance was obtained day of ticket. I am un-employed & do not have the means to pay ticket. As I have never been to court on a ticket I am unsure how to proceed with judge.

You Are Guilty

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

tx

I recieved a ticket for no insurance in July. I was told by the officer that if I obtained insurance that day the ticket could be removed. He stated that I would need to bring in or mail a copy of the ticket & proof of insurance. I mailed a copy of the ticket & proof of insurance. I heard nothing in regards to non-payment of ticket & wrongly assumed ticket had been removed. Recently I recieved a letter stating I had failed to pay ticket & must now appear in municipal court or a warrant would be issued. Whatever happened to the documents lost in mail etc... they we're not processed. I am now left with the charge of failure to mantain & I assume the charge of now failing to pay the ticket.
I have my proof of insurance card from that time showing insurance was obtained day of ticket. I am un-employed & do not have the means to pay ticket. As I have never been to court on a ticket I am unsure how to proceed with judge.
If you had insurance at the time you were given the ticket, but just didn't have the proof with you (eg left the card at home), you might have a shot at getting the ticket dismissed. (If you post what specific statute you were charged with, we can figure that part out).

On the other hand, if you didn't have insurance at the time you were given the ticket because you didn't buy any until after you got the ticket, then the ticket is entirely valid and it didn't matter if you mailed the court a letter from the Pope on your behalf, you were being found guilty (which it sounds like you were).

If you just didn't have the card with you, there may be some options to resolve this. If you just didn't have insurance at all, the best you can hope for is some sort of payment plan, and even that is not a given. But you are going to have to pay the ticket and the resulting fines for failing to pay the ticket one way or the other.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">