• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No left turn allowed but people take right turn and a u-turn

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

agup

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California

There is a store near my home and from its parking lot the left turn on a street is not allowed. The sign is posted both on the exit and across the street. That street is quite big with 4 lanes (2 in each direction) and a middle turn lane. I have seen many times that people turn right, drive may be 20 feet, get to the middle lane and take a U-turn. There is no U-turn disallowed sign posted anywhere. According to the DMV book U-turn can be taken from middle turn lane when it is safe and is not disallowed by signs. This usually happens when the street is not busy during late or early business hours, so the U-turn is safe to do. So essentially those people don't break any law yet take the left turn. I know for sure that those people defeat the very purpose of the no left turn by doing so. What I am not sure about if they break any traffic law i.e. if a cop can give them a ticket. If yes, for what?

Thanks,
AG

CdwJava

It depends ...

CVC 22102 No person in a business district shall make a U-turn, except
at an intersection
, or on a divided highway where an opening has
been provided in accordance with Section 21651. This turning
movement shall be made as close as practicable to the extreme
left-hand edge of the lanes moving in the driver's direction of
travel immediately prior to the initiation of the turning movement,
when more than one lane in the direction of travel is present.

If this is a business district (as I suspect it is), and the "middle lane" is a mutual turn lane, then the movement should be legal ... provided it is done safely and not in front of any oncoming traffic.

- Carl

agup

Thanks for the prompt replies. That is probably why I have never seen anyone receiving a ticket even though I have seen this happening couple of times when a police vehicle was nearby and in a position that would let the cop see the movement. Good to know.

Thanks
AG

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">