• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No liability insurance misunderstanding

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

llbean90

I am located in New Jersey

My friend borrowed my vehicle and was pulled over for illegal right turn. He did not get any ticket. However, the insurance ID card he found in my car is not the latest and I got a non-payable ticket for not having liability insurance. I am summoned to court next week.
I requested new ID card from Geico and got a statement letter saying I was covered on that day.

I do not think this worth hiring a lawyer. What do you think? Will I get fine for this? Your advise is appreciated!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am located in New Jersey

My friend borrowed my vehicle and was pulled over for illegal right turn. He did not get any ticket. However, the insurance ID card he found in my car is not the latest and I got a non-payable ticket for not having liability insurance. I am summoned to court next week.
I requested new ID card from Geico and got a statement letter saying I was covered on that day.

I do not think this worth hiring a lawyer. What do you think? Will I get fine for this? Your advise is appreciated!
Take everything you have to court with you.

ETA: Did you get the ticket for not having insurance, or for not having proof of insurance?

llbean90

Take everything you have to court with you.

ETA: Did you get the ticket for not having insurance, or for not having proof of insurance?
I was charged for 39:6B-2 --- NO LIABILITY INSURANCE COVERAGE ON MOTOR VEHICLE. I intend to bring following to court:

1. Latest insurance ID.
2. Letter from my insurance company stating I was covered on that day.

What is the likely outcome for my situation in your opinion? Thank you very much for your help!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I was charged for 39:6B-2 --- NO LIABILITY INSURANCE COVERAGE ON MOTOR VEHICLE. I intend to bring following to court:

1. Latest insurance ID.
2. Letter from my insurance company stating I was covered on that day.

What is the likely outcome for my situation in your opinion? Thank you very much for your help!
Theoretically, the ticket should be dismissed.
Realistically, no telling.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I believe you also need to present your vehicle registration along with the proof of insurance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">