• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"No Parking" sign, does it refer to the curb after or before the sign?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wo0ter

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

New Jersey (NJ)

I recently parked on a residential street where there's stiff competition to find parking. I parked my car right before a "No Parking during school hours) sign. The next sign back says the area is for residential parking only (and I have a permit for residential parking). Now, I assumed that when there's a parking sign or any kind, the area that the parking sign pertains to is where the sign is standing and after the sign. Here's a picture of my example:

______[No parking sign]____[(my car)]_____[Residential parking sign]_____

All the way to the left is in front, and the right is back (so my car is facing the left).

I received a parking ticket for a violation of "no parking during school hours" ... but I thought that the sign in front of my car is referring to the space from the sign and forward...I'm pretty sure it's like that in NYC but I'm not sure about New Jersey. Can anyone tell me if I was right? ThanksWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Seems like it IS residential parking EXCEPT during school hours. You can't compare to NYC because NYC DOT red/white parking signs (for restrictions) have arrows in a case like that. Sounds like these don't. But you didn't specify.

Banned_Princess

Seems like it IS residential parking EXCEPT during school hours. You can't compare to NYC because NYC DOT red/white parking signs (for restrictions) have arrows in a case like that. Sounds like these don't. But you didn't specify.
What are you talking about NYC for, this happened in NJ.

wo0ter

There were no arrows on either of the signs, so how can I tell which way they're referring to? I parked between the two, so it seems ambiguous as to where I can park

Last edited:

Banned_Princess

There were no arrows on either of the signs, so how can I tell which way they're referring to? I parked between the two, so it seems ambiguous as to where I can park
Between 2 NO parking sign clearly means no parking. Especially between 2 no parking signs.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Without arrows they should apply to the entire block.

As I said previously, it sounds like a residential parking area EXCEPT during school hours. Only residents can park, but no one can park during those hours.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">