• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No Parking Zone Definite vs Indiscriminate Yellow Line

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Taurean0425

I got a No parking zone ticket in a NJ town.
There is no signage yet there is a definite yellow line and a faded yellow line.
My car was parked in the faded yellow area.
I want to fight this on the principle of being entrapped.
A new yellow line was painted a car length short of the old line.
Can the town legitimately ticket beyond the definite yellow line?
:confused:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
There is no signage yet there is a definite yellow line and a faded yellow line.
Yellow is yellow.

sandyclaus

A yellow line means just that. Perhaps they didn't re-paint the full line because the section in question was still clearly visible. Maybe not as prominent, but visible nonetheless. If it's faded to the point where it's difficult to see, THEN maybe you'd have an argument. However, you said that you clearly made out the line, so that won't do it for you.

And how is this entrapment? You see a yellow line, you don't park there - faded or not. It really is that simple.

single317dad

Town authorities cover the yellow restricted zone with a concrete-colored camouflage barrier. After you park there, they remove the camouflage and ticket your car. THAT is entrapment. You'd have better luck arguing they neglected their duty to maintain the designation.

Mass_Shyster

You can argue the lines don't meet the appropriate yellowness index.

http://www.nj.gov/transportation/eng/specs/2007/spec900.shtm

Yellowness Index. When tested according to ASTM E 313 (with glass beads), ensure that the white epoxy resin exhibits a maximum 20.00 yellowness index after 72 hours of QUV exposure.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You can argue the lines don't meet the appropriate yellowness index.

http://www.nj.gov/transportation/eng/specs/2007/spec900.shtm
It doesn't matter what the yellowness is NOW.

912.03.01 Epoxy Traffic Stripes

Epoxy Resin. For long-life pavement striping, use an epoxy resin that is a 2 component, 100 percent solids formulation conforming to the following requirements:

Color. Ensure that the material conforms to the initial color requirements in ASTM D 6628.

Yellowness Index. When tested according to ASTM E 313 (with glass beads), ensure that the white epoxy resin exhibits a maximum 20.00 yellowness index after 72 hours of QUV exposure.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">