• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bbbbirdman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in Gary, Indiana 46406, yesterday I was cleaning out a garage from a house I'm selling. their was alot of metal to be dicarded so I decided to load my truck up with the metal and take it to the scrap yard. On way to scrap yard gary police pulled me over first of all saying Truck plates are for a passenger vehicle, then runs plate they are for this truck so then he gives me a ticket for no scappers license, insecure load and inpounds vehicle. First of all I did not know we had to have a license to scrap! but of which I realy was only cleaning out garage. Actually realy never made it to scrap business so how can they ticket me for scrapping, when even if I was a scrapper did not make it that far too scrap? My real question is can they legally inpound my vehicle cause of this? ~Thank You

FlyingRon

The illegal plate are more than enough cause to impound the vehicle in Indiana.
You can probably beat the scrapper license issue if you can show you were moving stuff from your home ONLY and therefore not required to have the license.

The unsafe load and the illegal plates are going to be hard to beat though.

asiny

The illegal plate are more than enough cause to impound the vehicle in Indiana.
You can probably beat the scrapper license issue if you can show you were moving stuff from your home ONLY and therefore not required to have the license.

The unsafe load and the illegal plates are going to be hard to beat though.
But were the OPs plates illegal?

To the OP, is the truck a personal or company vehicle?
Are there business markings on the vehicle?
I find it hard to believe that the OP could be charged with illegal truck plates - if it was the OPs personal vehicle.. they were just using it to move their garage clean-up out.

Although I do agree with your assessment of the 'unsafe load'.

FlyingRon

But were the OPs plates illegal?

To the OP, is the truck a personal or company vehicle?
Are there business markings on the vehicle?
I find it hard to believe that the OP could be charged with illegal truck plates - if it was the OPs personal vehicle.. they were just using it to move their garage clean-up out.

Although I do agree with your assessment of the 'unsafe load'.
OK, perhaps I misunderstood. If the plates/registration are for the specific vehicle mentioned (just not commercial plates), he can beat that one as well and he's stuck with the unsafe load. If they were plates for some other vehicle, my advice stands.

Still given a probable cause justifies what happened. He should be able to recover the vehicle quickly though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">