• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

no seat belt, but was wearing it improperly

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MistaTaz

What is the name of your state ? NY
I was wearing my seat belt but had the should strap under my arm. I have COPD, is there a law that says's we have to wear the strap across the chest?
They offered me parking on payment. is there a difference in fines?
Do you know where I can find the actual definition? Thanks.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

asiny

What is the name of your state ? NY
I was wearing my seat belt but had the should strap under my arm. I have COPD, is there a law that says's we have to wear the strap across the chest?
Do you know where I can find the actual definition? Thanks.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
The member HighwayMan knows NYC.. I am sure he will be along to give some thoughts.

For me I found this - although you are attempting to argue this after the fact;
MEDICAL EXEMPTION

For almost every medical problem or physical situation, wearing a seat belt increases your protection against death or serious injury. However, if a physical condition inhibits the proper use of a seat belt, you may be exempt from the seat belt law if your doctor certifies your condition and exemption in writing. Certification must be on the physicians letterhead and carried with you when you travel. For more information, see publication "Guidelines for Granting Medical Exemptions from Seat Belt Use" (C-58), available from the DMV Internet Office, by request from a DMV Call Center, and at any motor vehicle office.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I have COPD, is there a law that says's we have to wear the strap across the chest?
Wearing it like that is basically not wearing it. Most judges would find you guilty. If your medical condition makes it difficult to wear then get a medical note from your doctor stating that you cannot wear it and carry that with you at all times when you drive.

Uh, that's "parking on pavement" - it's a parking ticket and the fine is generally less, with either no surcharge or a very minor one.

Do you know where I can find the actual definition?
For what??

You Are Guilty

The statutes are the same across the state, but the town and village courts that hear tickets vary wiiiiiiiidely. Some of the really upstate counties are downright scary. Like, banjo playing kid on the courthouse steps scary.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
...is there a law that says's we have to wear the strap across the chest?
Yes, the law states that it must be properly worn. Proper wear of the belt is defined by the manufacturer.

As was mentioned previously, it is possible to get a medical exemption.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
If it is a three-point belt then it must be worn properly.

Wearing it the way you did puts you at risk for a very serious injury in the event of a collision. Why you would want to wear it that way is beyond me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">