• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No Standing Any Time - Obstructed Sign

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

phish

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NYC

Thanks for your time in advance.

I was wondering if I have a shot at getting out of this $115 parking ticket. I was parked at the corner and apparently there is a No Standing Anytime sign. Upon further inspecting I saw that the sign was indeed there, but obstructed by scaffolding on the building at the corner (for instance even if you found it you would be unable to see which direction the arrow is pointed).

Picture of the actual sign: http://imgur.com/uPY2x
Picture of the scaffolding: http://imgur.com/g5f1N

Thanks for you help!

justalayman

I would surely give it a shot. I would take pictures of where the sign is from several points as you drive up to the spot you parked as well as one from in your car (or in a similar position as when you would be seated in your vehicle) in that spot (obviously you don't want to get another ticket trying to gather the data.)

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Are there any other signs on that block? If there is another unobstructed sign anywhere on that block designating the area to be the same as the obstructed sign then you're totally out of luck.

You Are Guilty

Are there any other signs on that block? If there is another unobstructed sign anywhere on that block designating the area to be the same as the obstructed sign then you're totally out of luck.
Didn't you find a DOT website once upon a time where you could search all the signs for a particular block? I can't seem to find it.

HighwayMan

I believe this is it:

http://a841-dotvweb01.nyc.gov/ParkingRegs/ViewController/LocationValidation.aspx

HighwayMan

Just looked at that first image again and noticed something strange.

Looks like a "no parking street cleaning regulations" sign about 10 feet closer to the camera than the no standing sign. The designated area for no standing does not appear to be large enough to even park a car.

Is this correct? If so then I would think there is a problem somewhere. Were you parked in that small space?

phish

Sorry for the delay- it seems they haven't been sending me email updates from the thread for some reason.

Yes, there is in fact room for one car to park there before you get into the crosswalk. The super of the building (who is actually shown in that first picture) told me that the reason there is a No Standing sign there is because we have a Key Food around the corner, and trucks have to make a wide turn to get onto the street- if a car is parked on the corner they can't clear the turn. He said that I'm lucky, sometimes if there's a car parked there they end up towing it to allow the truck to turn. So I guess even if I have to pay it, there is still somewhat of silver lining :p.

Any advice on trying to make the sign look more obstructed than it is? Or will that suffice? Is it OK if I do the hearing via the web, or is mail, or person, better?
Thanks guys.

HighwayMan

Yes, there is in fact room for one car to park there before you get into the crosswalk.
That's silly. That "no standing anytime" sign should be on the same pole as the "no parking" sign with the arrow pointed in the opposite direction (towards the stop sign). I don't get it. It's legitimate but DOT is usually more on the ball than that.

Any advice on trying to make the sign look more obstructed than it is? Or will that suffice? Is it OK if I do the hearing via the web, or is mail, or person, better?
It is what it is. Your big issue is to take proper pictures that show that is the sign you were cited for violating. Did you look at the link You Are Guilty posted?

It's been a long time since I fought a NYC parking notice of violation - I don't know if you can submit photographs via a web hearing. I don't think you can unless they've updated the process.

Personally, if you can take the time, I would go in person. However, whatever you do the key will be those photographs. If you screw up the pictures, which is easy, you have no chance.

How is the location noted on the ticket?

phish

I just went to the Finance site- it says I can upload photos with a 5 mb limit- shouldn't be a problem.

The location is listed as opposite 740 W 187th St. I just realized that that doesn't necessarily denote the specific location I was parked in- could that be used to help me? Unfortunately I already submitted my hearing via Web. Maybe I can update it, waddya think...

You Are Guilty

DoF (?) did change their online system and now lets you submit photos. However, the same "rules" of photo taking still apply, so if all you sent was the pic attached to this post, you shot yourself in the foot.

I have no clue whether you can amend your response to include more photos, but you might want to call them to see if that is possible. Otherwise, I would expect the fine to be upheld.

phish

No no- they are giving me an opportunity to add photographs now. All I meant was that my reason is in stone (that it was blocked by scaffolding).

Thanks for the photo instructions. I swiveled from a picture of 740 187th st to where I was parked and got a couple of better pictures with the sign really really obstructed. The only problem I'm having now is that DoF photo uploader is somehow converting all my 500 kb photos to 3 mb, which is going to be a major problem since I want to upload 9 pics...

You Are Guilty

One of the many reasons why I maintain that nothing beats going down there in person. (Including the fact that during intake, a clerk will look over your ticket for you and if there are any fatal flaws, they can dismiss it right then and there without having to wait to see the ALJ).

With that in mind, the google street view of the unobstructed sign is telling: http://goo.gl/maps/5C5Ag

Were you actually parked in that last "spot" between the stop sign/line and the alternate side parking sign? Because that is the only area the No Standing applies to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">