• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"No Standing" vs "No Parking"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AngryWithNJ

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

I stopped by a "No Parking" sign to drop off passengers. I was waiting in my car, in the driver's seat, for them to return. A traffic officer then proceeded to give me a ticket. On the ticket, the violation was for parking in a crosswalk. Although my vehicle was not in the designated white lines for pedestrian crossing, his explanation was that my car was "parked" in the yellow painted area (painted where the sidewalk meets the street) and that constituted a crosswalk.

Question:

Does the yellow painted area constitute a crosswalk? and
Was I technically "parked" since I was in my vehicle with the car running? Isn't that considered "standing"?

Do I have a chance at fighting this?

Thanks in advance.

moburkes

AngryWithNJ said:
What is the name of your state? New Jersey

I stopped by a "No Parking" sign to drop off passengers. I was waiting in my car, in the driver's seat, for them to return. A traffic officer then proceeded to give me a ticket. On the ticket, the violation was for parking in a crosswalk. Although my vehicle was not in the designated white lines for pedestrian crossing, his explanation was that my car was "parked" in the yellow painted area (painted where the sidewalk meets the street) and that constituted a crosswalk.

Question:

Does the yellow painted area constitute a crosswalk? and
Was I technically "parked" since I was in my vehicle with the car running? Isn't that considered "standing"?

Do I have a chance at fighting this?

Thanks in advance.
Definition from NJ website:
"Parking" means the standing or waiting on a street, road or highway of a vehicle not actually engaged in receiving or discharging passengers or merchandise, unless in obedience to traffic regulations or traffic signs or signals.

Not sure if this helps, but its a start. Were you on one of these streets?
http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/refdata/traffic_orders/parking/

Last edited:

AngryWithNJ

moburkes said:
Definition from NJ website:
"Parking" means the standing or waiting on a street, road or highway of a vehicle not actually engaged in receiving or discharging passengers or merchandise, unless in obedience to traffic regulations or traffic signs or signals.

Not sure if this helps, but its a start. Were you on one of these streets?
http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/refdata/traffic_orders/parking/
Well, I wasn't on any of those streets, but the definition of "parking" that you quoted seems to invalidate my argument that I was "standing" and not actually "parked". :(

Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">