• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No std com mtr zone help,

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Yrafalowski

I have three questions, all referring to parking tickets in Manhattan, NY.
1) I received two parking tickets, printed and dated both at the same exact time. Is that even possible?
2) One of the tickets says "no std com Mtr zone" I have commercial plates and the ticket said so too and I stood on a parking space for commercial vehicles. I also stood on the days and times when the parking space was available. I did not exceed the time limit for the zone. What does no std com Mtr zone mean? What am I supposed to do?
3) the other ticket says "unaltered comm vehicle", the sign said three hours max for commercial vehicles and that's what I did. my parking ticket was on display on the dashboard, and was visible. The ticket was purchased at 8:31, ended at 11:31. The violation was printed at 11:12. WHY? What is it for and what does it mean?

PLEASE HELP!!

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
1) I received two parking tickets, printed and dated both at the same exact time. Is that even possible?
You can receive as many parking tickets as their are observed parking violations. Why do you take issue with that?

2) One of the tickets says "no std com Mtr zone" I have commercial plates and the ticket said so too and I stood on a parking space for commercial vehicles. I also stood on the days and times when the parking space was available. I did not exceed the time limit for the zone. What does no std com Mtr zone mean? What am I supposed to do?
It means "no standing - commercial metered zone". I am assuming you got this ticket because the traffic agent or police officer didn't consider your vehicle to be properly registered as a commercial vehicle, hence your second ticket.

3) the other ticket says "unaltered comm vehicle", the sign said three hours max for commercial vehicles and that's what I did. my parking ticket was on display on the dashboard, and was visible. The ticket was purchased at 8:31, ended at 11:31. The violation was printed at 11:12. WHY? What is it for and what does it mean?
You received this ticket because your commercially registered vehicle did not meet the requirements to have a commercial registration. For instance, if it's a car then it cannot have a rear seat.

So, that having been said, do tell us some tidbits about your vehicle. What kind of vehicle is it exactly? I'm guessing it's a van, but do tell.

Yrafalowski

You can receive as many parking tickets as their are observed parking violations. Why do you take issue with that?

I just didn't think that was possible, to print two in one minute.

It means "no standing - commercial metered zone". I am assuming you got this ticket because the traffic agent or police officer didn't consider your vehicle to be properly registered as a commercial vehicle, hence your second ticket.

My vehicle is a mb sprinter 2500 high roof van. It is registered as a commercial vehicle. It has commercial plates. It doesn't have any windows other than the front shield window and one window on the side of the two front seats. Also I have parked in this one place frequntly- as in the past few days. I have not gotten a ticket before and then suddenly I did.

You received this ticket because your commercially registered vehicle did not meet the requirements to have a commercial registration. For instance, if it's a car then it cannot have a rear seat.

So, that having been said, do tell us some tidbits about your vehicle. What kind of vehicle is it exactly? I'm guessing it's a van, but do tell.
My vehicle has not been altered in any way! The way it was purchased is the way I am driving it. It doesn't have rear seats. It has a partition.

HighwayMan

Very helpful answer. Now if you don't want to describe your vehicle that's your business. If you don't then you'll get none of your questions answered.

FlyingRon

Very helpful answer. Now if you don't want to describe your vehicle that's your business. If you don't then you'll get none of your questions answered.
He did, but he screwed up the quote tags so the description of his Sprinter is embedded in what appears to be quoted text.

Apparently it has no rear seats and it has a partition. Does it have your name on the doors/side panels?

Just because you previously get away with a violation doesn't make it legal.

HighwayMan

He did, but he screwed up the quote tags so the description of his Sprinter is embedded in what appears to be quoted text.
Hmmm. Missed that one. Thanks!

The only other issue would be the markings, as you pointed out.

The New York City Administrative Code requires that commercial vehicles be marked on both sides in lettering at least three inches in height indicating the owner or registrant's name and address. These markings must be in a contrasting color and permanently affixed, i.e. no magnetic signs are permitted.

Yrafalowski

Hmmm. Missed that one. Thanks!

The only other issue would be the markings, as you pointed out.

The New York City Administrative Code requires that commercial vehicles be marked on both sides in lettering at least three inches in height indicating the owner or registrant's name and address. These markings must be in a contrasting color and permanently affixed, i.e. no magnetic signs are permitted.
Thank you so much for the help! I apologize for the misunderstanding and poor placement of the reply. Thank you once again!

HighwayMan

I wasn't sure if the lack of markings alone would cause the vehicle to be considered non-commercial, however it does.

FYI, NYC Traffic Rules 4-08 (k)(1)

(k) Special rules for commercial vehicles.
(1) Parking of unaltered commercial vehicles prohibited. No person shall stand or park a
vehicle with commercial plates in any location unless it has been permanently altered with all
seats and rear seat fittings, except the front seats, removed, except that for vehicles designed
with a passenger cab and a cargo area separated by a partition, the seating capacity within the
cab shall not be considered in determining whether the vehicle is properly altered, and has the
name and address of the owner as shown on the registration certificate plainly marked on both
sides of the vehicle in letters and numerals not less than three inches in height, in compliance
with §10-127 of the Administrative Code and is also in compliance with paragraph (i) of the
definition of commercial vehicle as set forth in §4-01 of these rules

And a definition of a commercial vehicle:

Commercial vehicle.
(i) For purposes of parking, standing and stopping rules, a vehicle shall not be deemed a
commercial vehicle or a truck unless:
(A) it bears commercial plates; and
(B) it is permanently altered by having all seats and seat fittings, except the front
seats, removed to facilitate the transportation of property, except that for vehicles
designed with a passenger cab and a cargo area separated by a partition, the seating
capacity within the cab shall not be considered in determining whether the vehicle is
properly altered; and
(C) it displays the registrant's name and address permanently affixed in characters at
least three inches high on both sides of the vehicle, with such display being in a color
contrasting with that of the vehicle and placed approximately midway vertically on
doors or side panels.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">