• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

not presenting Insurance card

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

caprin

Florida.
I was stopped in Fl from Massachusetts with Ma plates, valid registration, valid License, valid insurance.
Was given "warning" for "not presenting insurance card".
Massachusetts doesn't have insurance cards, proof is printed on the registration, which I pointed out.
One year later.....Receive mail from collection agency that I owe 194.50 for past due fine!!! for a warning!!! that my state doesn't distribute insurance cards like Florida!!!

How do I repeal this. I believe my license has been suspended also.
This event has restricted me from working.

Bottom line: Cop was wrong. How do I dismiss this

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I had the same thing happen in NY. What did you do AT THE TIME, other than point it out to the cop, to resolve it? It makes a difference what I recommend.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Not in MA.

In MA, the insurance information is printed on the auto registration. There is no such thing as a separate insurance card, anywhere in MA. The auto registration takes the place of an insurance card since it contains all the same information.

FlyingRon

Not in MA.

In MA, the insurance information is printed on the auto registration. There is no such thing as a separate insurance card, anywhere in MA. The auto registration takes the place of an insurance card since it contains all the same information.
And what if he'd been from Virginia, or Maryland, or one of the many states that doesn't mandate you carry any sort of proof of insurance. What happened to the old full faith and credit part of the Constitution?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And what if, indeed?

I'm not defending any part of the system; just stating the way it works in MA. Racer is telling the poster that his insurance company gives him a card, and I am telling Racer that he is wrong, as far as Massachusetts goes.

If the poster wants to answer my question, I'm happy to help him out of my own experience with the same situation. If he doesn't, that's fine too.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">