• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Notice of Intent to Suspend

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Erios

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I just got this letter in the mail.
IMPORTAN: YOUR VEHICLE REGISTRATION IS SUSPENDED EFFECTIVE: 09/16/2009​

The vehicle is currently just sitting in my garage. Just collecting dust since November 2008.
It's a 1990 Honda Civic.

My question is:
Can I just sell the vehicle without insurance?
What can I do to clear this up?
Can I file this vehicle for non-op?
How do I go about trying to sell this vehicle?

I turn it on once in awhile so the battery doesn't die. But yeah any information can help. Thanks!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

CdwJava

Why is the registration being suspended? No insurance? Or something else?
My question is:
Can I just sell the vehicle without insurance?
What can I do to clear this up?
Can I file this vehicle for non-op?
How do I go about trying to sell this vehicle?
Yes ... you can sell it without insurance.

Not sure what to do to clear it up - it depends on why the registration is being suspended. Take care of that reason, and you can probably register it again (assuming it can pass smog the next time it is required).

Yes, you can file for a Non-Op. Go to the DMV office near you or check out their web site at California Department of Motor Vehicles.

You can sell the vehicle any way you want to. Check out the DMV web site or your local DMV office for the specifics on what is required to transfer title.

- Carl

Erios

thanks for the quick reply :)
i'll look online and make a phone call to the dmv office. i hate waiting in line but if that's what i have to do then i'll have to do it.

Thanks again!

CdwJava

I had a similar situation about ten years ago and ended up getting the non-op and clear title so I could make a donation of it to a charity ... it actually was worth more to me as a tax write off than it was selling it.

This will not be all that difficult. The DMV web site is very user friendly and you should be able to get most of what you need on-line, though you may have to go in at least once to take care of some paperwork ... depends on what needs to be done. Just don't stress it.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">