• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

For NY -

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Fancylove999

For New York State .

There's two ticket scenarios for NY State; thanks in advance for your expert legal advice:

1) The crux of the question is: For non-metered parking violations (e.g., being too close to fire hydrant, parking in no standing space), how often can you be ticketed for the same violation within a certain window of time. Can they legally ticket, let's say, every hour, or 4 hours, ... or just once per day? You see, I received a ticket for being 10 feet from a fire hydrant (my bad, too close) at 3AM Sunday morning, and then again at 7AM Sunday morning. I am not disagreeing with the first ticket, it's the second ticket that's got my goat. One would reasonably surmise that if one parks in a residential zone at 3AM, they're probably going to be there overnight and not come out to get the car at 5AM in the morning and see the first ticket. Is there something on the books that states when the next "repeat" ticket can take place if it's not at a meter. You think I have a good argument?

2) Second question is: What allowances can be made for a personal vehicle that needs to park near an office building during the day in order to load one heavy bulky item (a set of lockers) If I could, I would have picked up the item after-hours, however the office building said pickups only from 9AM - 4PM. So, I had to make a trip during the day in my personal car since I have no commerical vehicle, and parked in a "No standing except trucks loading/unloading" zone (that's the only type of zone around for blocks) in order to load this one item quickly. I was not double parking, or blocking another truck from coming through. Also, I made sure I had an extra person in the car at all times while I went up to the office building to get the item. While I was loading it, an officer said I had to move the car that very minute. I kindly asked if he could wait until I loaded this one item that would not take more than one minute -- the item was on a handtruck and being lifted onto the van as we were speaking -- and he said he could not wait until we finished loading, and gave us a ticket then. I must add, he was being unreasonable; we were very polite and certainly hurrying as fast as we could. Yes, I wished I had a commercial license then everything would have been alright, however there may be one or two times that one just needs to go the city to pick up something during the day because that's the only times they are opened. Question is again: what scenarios are allowed for parking for loading purposes if it's done expeditiously. What do you think are my odds of fighting this?

Thanks,
Nancy

magic55

Well you always have an argument.

You have a good argument if you want to waste 10 hours of your life as arguing a couple $25 tickets.

Good Luck.
-Magic

Karma33

I had a similar situation with multiple tickets for the same parking offense. I was parked just under 15 feet from the fire hydrant and got a total of three tickets, since I happened to sleep in the next day. For the other person who reponded, at $115 per ticket, not $25. I was able to dispute one for incorrect license plate information, I paid one, and the third one I didn't even see on my car. I only know that I have it because I recently got an overdue notice. I am not sure if the wind blew it off or what, but it wasn't even in the computer system until just now (2 months later). Did you find an answer to your inquiry? If so, please tell me where to look. I am not sure I want to go through all of the legal proceedings to dispute the third ticket unless I have information that they are not allowed to ticket you multiple times for one offense. I doubt that it will stand up in court that I did not even know about the ticket, even though that is the case.

patstew

Did you find an answer to your inquiry? If so, please tell me where to look. I am not sure I want to go through all of the legal proceedings to dispute the third ticket unless I have information that they are not allowed to ticket you multiple times for one offense. I doubt that it will stand up in court that I did not even know about the ticket, even though that is the case.
GO TO THE SOURCE. Is there a phone number on your ticket? Call it, and ask them what the ordinances say about multiple tickets.

In my city, we're allowed to issue one for the same offense every 120 minutes. Doesn't mean we will, just that we can.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">