• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NY CellPhone Ticket - Out of state and Name incorrectly placed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

brahim

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I recently received a ticket for "CELL PHONE -IMPROPER USE - NO HANDS FREE DEVICE".

My ticket has my last name in the first name field and vice versa. I am also an out of state driver (from FLORIDA). I was using the GPS on my iphone. Will going to court help me at all, or should I just pay the ticket. Just wanted to know how this will affect me in FLORIDA?

Thanks

BR

CSO286

I recently received a ticket for "CELL PHONE -IMPROPER USE - NO HANDS FREE DEVICE".

My ticket has my last name in the first name field and vice versa. I am also an out of state driver (from FLORIDA). I was using the GPS on my iphone. Will going to court help me at all, or should I just pay the ticket. Just wanted to know how this will affect me in FLORIDA?

Thanks

BR
Pay the ticket.

Trust me.

Thanks

BR
FL will pick it up just like a ticket there in time. Will the court help you??Help you do what? You can go to court (is this NYC??) if you desire, bring your phone records.

Did you blather on to the cop how you were using your phone?

brahim

FL will pick it up just like a ticket there in time. Will the court help you??Help you do what? You can go to court (is this NYC??) if you desire, bring your phone records.

Did you blather on to the cop how you were using your phone?
Yes, It was in NYC (manhattan)

I did not say anything to the officer. She asked if I had an emergency that I was using the phone? I said NO..and nothing else on that.

I was not talking on the phone but was using the GPS on the iphone b/c I didn't know where I was going. :( I dont mind paying the ticket, because I am guilty according to what the law states (which i read). I just dont want any points and insurance going up. Because of the error on the ticket and being out of state, I can get some reduction of points or fine from the court.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I did not say anything to the officer. She asked if I had an emergency that I was using the phone? I said NO..and nothing else on that.
Well then shame on you. You were given a chance to explain and didn't. I'm thinking you're not being entirely truthful anyway, since you probably wouldn't have gotten stopped if the phone was not held up close to your ear.

Because of the error on the ticket and being out of state, I can get some reduction of points or fine from the court.
The "error" you claim will not stand up in court. Forget that. You probably have a name which is confusing and with the out-of-state license it's not always clear what the first and last names are. There is no way the court can reduce points.

And are you really from Florida? Or one of the thousands driving with Florida plates but living in New York? In any event, that's not relevant. Whether you're from Oklahoma or Brooklyn you were still in violation as the officer saw it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">