• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NY Parking Ticket - Incorrect VIN recorded

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FanDeez

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I received a "No registration" parking ticket. The registration had previously gotten ruined and I did not have one displayed in the window.

I was issued a parking ticket with the INCORRECT VIN recorded (it was off by 1 Letter). I would prefer not to pay the $75 dollar fee, because I do have a registration sticker & card. This ticket was issued 2hrs away from my home, and I dont have the time to travel. Any suggestions as to the validity of the ticket? Thanks in advance!

xylene

The only defense would be to go and prove you have the sticker.

That cost much more than $75.

The VIN number issue does not scuttle the ticket.

You need to properly display your registration in NY or you will keep getting tickets.

Had this been while driving it could have been a substantially more expensive ticket.

FanDeez

Thanks for the response. I will keep the thread updated with the outcome. I will not contest the invalid VIN# on the ticket, but show that I DO have a valid registration sticker and card.

One last thing, I am not the owner of the vehicle. I was merely driving t at the time. Does this pose any issues?

BOR

Thanks for the response. I will keep the thread updated with the outcome. I will not contest the invalid VIN# on the ticket, but show that I DO have a valid registration sticker and card.

One last thing, I am not the owner of the vehicle. I was merely driving t at the time. Does this pose any issues?
As far as the VIN is concerned, it is a "harmless error". Unless such is prejudical enough to you to violate your rights, it is not dismissable, but you can of course try any defense.

You were in "care, custody and control" of the vehicle. Again you can argue any defense you wish, but don't expect the non ownership defense to have any legal weight?

FanDeez

My reasoning for asking about the non ownership was if I will have an issue showing a different name on the registration than my drivers license.

Take care, appreciate the swift response.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">