• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NY Resident / Parking ticket in Quebec

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Changed

What is the name of your state: NY

Yesterday while touring the city of Ottawa, a friend and I decided to travel across the bridge and into Quebec to check out some art museum. We couldn't find any parking, so I just parked my car in what I dubbed to be a proper parking space. I knew I was going to get a ticket, parking so close to a street corner. And of course, when we came back to the car there was a ticket.

I am wondering if the Quebec/Ontario government can do anything about this parking ticket if I dont pay it? I have had some people tell me they could report my unpaid ticket to my local DMV and have my license or insurance suspended... I never plan on returning to Quebec, and if I do I will probably park my car in a parking garage or somewhere proper.

And, if I get pulled over for speeding in NY, are the police going to be able to see an oustanding ticket in Canada?

You Are Guilty

Changed said:
What is the name of your state: NY

Yesterday while touring the city of Ottawa, a friend and I decided to travel across the bridge and into Quebec to check out some art museum. We couldn't find any parking, so I just parked my car in what I dubbed to be a proper parking space. I knew I was going to get a ticket, parking so close to a street corner. And of course, when we came back to the car there was a ticket.

I am wondering if the Quebec/Ontario government can do anything about this parking ticket if I dont pay it? I have had some people tell me they could report my unpaid ticket to my local DMV and have my license or insurance suspended... I never plan on returning to Quebec, and if I do I will probably park my car in a parking garage or somewhere proper.

And, if I get pulled over for speeding in NY, are the police going to be able to see an oustanding ticket in Canada?
A Canadian parking ticket has no bearing on your NYS-issued driver's license. On the other hand, it could potentially have a lot to do with your credit should you fail to pay it.

And given that you admit you knew you parked illegally, I'll skip the (obvious) moral answer.

Changed

You Are Guilty said:
On the other hand, it could potentially have a lot to do with your credit should you fail to pay it.
What kind of bearing will an unpaid parking ticket in Canada have on my credit score? :confused:

patstew

Changed said:
What kind of bearing will an unpaid parking ticket in Canada have on my credit score? :confused:
Not a good one, obviously. An unpaid bill is an unpaid bill. If you don't mind having your credit score reduced, then by all means, don't pay it.

You Are Guilty

Changed said:
so the only impact this ticket could have is on my credit? Nothing legal :confused:
Your credit reports are "legal". You can be sued and taken to court over unpaid bills. The only thing it doesn't have to do with, as previously mentioned, is your NY license (i.e. no points).

Changed

on second though, I'm not paying this. I've been told by numerous other people that they cant do anything about it. Other people I've talked to have multiple parking tickets and nothing has happened to their credit or license.

You Are Guilty

Changed said:
on second though, I'm not paying this. I've been told by numerous other people that they cant do anything about it. Other people I've talked to have multiple parking tickets and nothing has happened to their credit or license.
Once again ignoring the morality of the issue, and the fact that I've already stated, twice, that this has absolutely no bearing on your driver's license, since when does anecdotal evidence trump the law? I mean, OJ killed two people and "nothing happened to him" so does that mean it's OK if I go home and kill my wife?

You have been provided with the correct legal answer as to what can happen to your credit should you fail to pay. What you do with that information is up to you - guide yourself accordingly.

Smiles

This is a parking ticket, not a capital crime like murder. Equating the two is the highest order of fantasy.

Speaking practically, it's unlikely that Quebec is going to file a judgement against the OP, then make the effort to get it applied to the OP in the US, and then make the effort to file against the OP's credit report.

Also speaking practically, I'd pay the ticket on the off chance I was ever in Quebec, Ontario, or Canada again. People say things like, "I'll never be back," and then a decade later they find themselves arrested in the jurisdiction they said they'd never visit again. And now requiring a visit from the US Consulate. ;) Why run the risk?

Paying a ticket that you know you're guilty of is good karma, and it's practical too. But it's your decision to make.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">