• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Nyc garment district

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cjra78

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

received the ticket for parking on No Standing except tracks/vans with commercial plate in garment district in NYC.

The traffic agent specified the incorrect date/time of the sign on the ticket. The time and date on the sign says "NO Standing Monday-Friday 7am-6PM" The traffic agent specified as "NO Standing ALL DAYS 7am-7PM"

is this ticket defective?

CSO286

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

received the ticket for parking on No Standing except tracks/vans with commercial plate in garment district in NYC.

The traffic agent specified the incorrect date/time of the sign on the ticket. The time and date on the sign says "NO Standing Monday-Friday 7am-6PM" The traffic agent specified as "NO Standing ALL DAYS 7am-7PM"

What time were you ticketed???

You Are Guilty

It may very well be.

You'll have to prove what the sign actually says if you contest the ticket.

Plug in the address to the STATUS online search: http://a841-dotvweb01.nyc.gov/ParkingRegs/ViewController/LocationValidation.aspx

Take those results and some photos from the block and dispute to your heart's content.

cjra78

Was there a problem with the signs which caused you not to see them?
no problem with the sign,
I have NYC disability permit and I'm allowed to park on "No standing except trucks/vans" Except cross-town streets in Garment District (I was parked on the avenue, NOT on cross-town street). Scheduled the hearing online (sent the copy of my permit and the letter from NYC Dept of Transp. which clearly says that I can park Except cross-town streets in Garment District) judge found me guilty. I'm appealing the ticket and want to appear in person, just in case want to show that sign was incorrectly written on the ticket

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Well, appearing in person is a good idea, but you should win just based upon the information already on record, if you're correct.

I don't have the time now to check the statute, but you'd better make sure you have the zones correct. You were parked in commercial metered parking or a truck loading/unloading zone? You weren't 100% clear on that part.

When you say you have a disability permit, you mean a NYC Special Parking ID (SPID)? Regular disability permits are invalid in NYC for any type of on street parking.

cjra78

Well, appearing in person is a good idea, but you should win just based upon the information already on record, if you're correct.

I don't have the time now to check the statute, but you'd better make sure you have the zones correct. You were parked in commercial metered parking or a truck loading/unloading zone? You weren't 100% clear on that part.

When you say you have a disability permit, you mean a NYC Special Parking ID (SPID)? Regular disability permits are invalid in NYC for any type of on street parking.
yes I have NYC Special Parking ID (SPID), I sent the appeal in the mail and lost the appeal.
should I go there anyway, or it is a waste of the time?
they are clearly wrong

HighwayMan

If you lost the appeal then that is the end of the line. What did the decision state?

You never answered the question about where you were parked. What were the posted signs?

HighwayMan

... No Standing except tracks/vans with commercial plate in garment district in NYC.
As far as I know there is no such thing. It is either commercial metered parking or no standing except trucks loading/unloading. Please clarify. If possible include the section you were cited for violating.

cjra78

If you lost the appeal then that is the end of the line. What did the decision state?

You never answered the question about where you were parked. What were the posted signs?
I was parked on the broadway, between 38 and 37 street

no permit allowed - even though NYC DOT says I can

yea, once I lost the appeal, there is nothing I can do,
that sucks

Last edited:

cjra78

As far as I know there is no such thing. It is either commercial metered parking or no standing except trucks loading/unloading. Please clarify. If possible include the section you were cited for violating.
violation code is 89
"Standing or parking a vehicle in the Garment District (in Manhattan, from 35th Street to 41st Street, between the Avenues of America and Eighth Avenue) between the hours of 7:00am – 7:00pm. However, a Commercial Vehicle which is a truck or a van can park temporarily (up to a maximum of 3 hours) while making a pickup, delivery or service call."

my permit allows me to park in garment district (except on cross-town streets) I was parked on the broadway
It clearly says that I'm allowed to park (except on cross-town streets)

OHRoadwarrior

What is the statute that governs authority to park there with your permit? I could only find generic reference, which left room to interpret.

HighwayMan

violation code is 89
"Standing or parking a vehicle in the Garment District (in Manhattan, from 35th Street to 41st Street, between the Avenues of America and Eighth Avenue) between the hours of 7:00am – 7:00pm. However, a Commercial Vehicle which is a truck or a van can park temporarily (up to a maximum of 3 hours) while making a pickup, delivery or service call."
I didn't ask you that. I don't have a parking violation in front of me so the violation code doesn't mean much. What section were you cited for violating? 4-08 is the section but what subsection?

I don't know what you're quoting either. Where is that from? The only thing that counts is what the statute says.

HighwayMan

What is the statute that governs authority to park there with your permit? I could only find generic reference, which left room to interpret.
He wouldn't know that. At least I doubt he would.

I don't have it off the top of my head but there is a section which specifies where a vehicle displaying a SPID can and cannot park.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">