• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

(NYC) No Parking TIcket On Ash Wednesday--Did I Screw Up?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

coreynyc

Got a:
Sect. 4-08, Violation Code 20
No Parking Ticket on Ash Wednesday (Alternate Side suspended for religious observance)

Where I parked, there are 2 no parking signs:
Sign w broom, in effect Thurs 8:30-10:00 AM
Sign w no broom, in effect Wed & Sat 7:00 AM - 3 PM

Was I wrong to think I was allowed to park there on a day when Alternate Side was suspended?
If so, do I have any recourse to fight an/or reduce the fine?

Thank you!

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Yes you were wrong. Alternate side rules do not apply on a day when alternate side parking rules aren't normally in effect. Why would you think that?

HighwayMan

If you parked there on a Wednesday why wouldn't you pay attention to the sign that covered Wednesday? Any other day of the week is irrelevant. Sorry, I don't see what's so confusing about that.

coreynyc

If you parked there on a Wednesday why wouldn't you pay attention to the sign that covered Wednesday? Any other day of the week is irrelevant. Sorry, I don't see what's so confusing about that.
Obviously you are confused or a troll.

What part of "Ash Wednesday (Alternate Side suspended for religious observance)" don't you understand?

HighwayMan

If so, do I have any recourse to fight an/or reduce the fine?
Apparently not.

It doesn't cost you anything to have the violation adjudicated - you don't even have to appear. You can have a hearing online or by mail. However, your chances of winning are close to zero and the chances of having the fine reduced if you are found guilty is absolutely zero.

Using the "signs were confusing" argument will not get you anywhere.

coreynyc

Apparently not.

It doesn't cost you anything to have the violation adjudicated - you don't even have to appear. You can have a hearing online or by mail. However, your chances of winning are close to zero and the chances of having the fine reduced if you are found guilty is absolutely zero.

Using the "signs were confusing" argument will not get you anywhere.
PLEASE PAY ATTENTION:
I am not questioning the signs nor do I find them confusing.

I am questioning whether or not Alternate Side Suspension applies to the broomless Wednesday sign

HighwayMan

"Ash Wednesday (Alternate Side suspended for religious observance)" don't you understand?
And exactly what does THAT mean? It is not a statute that I am aware of.

Code 20 is a violation of general "no parking" rules. That's exactly what you violated. This has NOTHING to do with Ash Wednesday or alternate side of the street parking.

HighwayMan

I am questioning whether or not Alternate Side Suspension applies to the broomless Wednesday sign
No, YOU need to pay attention. Alternate side "suspension rules" do not in any way apply to general parking regulations.

You apparently do not like that answer. Well, too bad - welcome to life in New York City.

In this case, alternate side parking ONLY applies on Thursdays from 8:30AM to 10:00 AM. A rule/regulation CANNOT be suspended if it is not in effect to begin with.
:rolleyes:

You Are Guilty

PLEASE PAY ATTENTION:

Your problem is that only the "broom sign" is an ASP regulation. Signs without a broom are unrelated.

http://a841-dotvweb01.nyc.gov/ParkingRegs/signlegend.aspx

And in the future, you might want to consider being nicer to people trying to help you. You're not doing much to help the stereotype.

HighwayMan

Apparently you do find them confusing otherwise you wouldn't have started this thread.

The answer is: NO. The "broomless sign" has nothing whatsoever to do with alternate side parking.

coreynyc

The answer is: NO. The "broomless sign" has nothing whatsoever to do with alternate side parking.
If only you provided this answer from the beginning rather than talking in circles & spouting off on things that I showed that I already knew

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">