• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NYC Parking

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stltoday

What is the name of your state? NY

I got a ticket for displaying my inspection sticker incorrectly. I have it in the lower left hand corner of the front window. It is above my registration sticker. should I fight this ticket

You Are Guilty

Above the reggy is the wrong position. Pay the fine.

Free Tip O' The Day: that little diagram on the back of the inspection sticker showing where it's supposed to be placed isn't there just for kicks.

JETX

stltoday said:
I got a ticket for displaying my inspection sticker incorrectly. I have it in the lower left hand corner of the front window. It is above my registration sticker. should I fight this ticket
Being too stupid to follow simple installation instructions is not a valid defense.

Smiles

stltoday said:
What is the name of your state? NY

Find out what you were cited for (statute) and what your Commissioner of Motor Vehicles has ruled on the subject. I can't find the administrative rules for sticker placement in NY. Article 9, Section 375.1(b) says you can't have any stickers on your windshield except what the Commissioner has authorized, you just need to know what's authorized and how. This image from 1976 (!) pretty much shows you how the stickers are supposed to be affixed in relation to each other.

stltoday

Confused

No where does it say that it has to be posted a certain way. It says lower left hand corner. Does anyone have any clue where this "law" is written or stated?

Smiles

If you know what statute you were cited with, that would give you a clue as to where to begin to look. The Commissioner of Motor Vehicles authorizes stickers on windshields in NY, so you'll have to find out what administrative rules have been set out at the DMV under the authority of the commissioner. Have you tried contacting the DMV?

Smiles

71 Standing or parking a vehicle without displaying a current inspection sticker. $65 $65
Based on the fine, it looks like a violation of the Rules of the City of New York (RCNY), either 34 RCNY 4-08(e)(11) or 34 RCNY 4-08(j). (Possibly 34 RCNY 4-08(n)(8), but that says parking only, not standing or parking, and I'm just presuming this was a non-commercial vehicle.) I'm basing that on the $ amount of the fine ($65 - $15 criminal justice fee = $50.) I can't find the RCNY online, so I can't say whether you violated what's in it. But if you had a current inspection sticker (it was current, right?), it doesn't say that you had to display it in any particular orientation. Dig some more!

You Are Guilty

Smiles said:
Based on the fine, it looks like a violation of the Rules of the City of New York (RCNY), either 34 RCNY 4-08(e)(11) or 34 RCNY 4-08(j). (Possibly 34 RCNY 4-08(n)(8), but that says parking only, not standing or parking, and I'm just presuming this was a non-commercial vehicle.) I'm basing that on the $ amount of the fine ($65 - $15 criminal justice fee = $50.) I can't find the RCNY online, so I can't say whether you violated what's in it. But if you had a current inspection sticker (it was current, right?), it doesn't say that you had to display it in any particular orientation. Dig some more!
Uh, you're the one who posted the picture of what I mentioned in my very first post. The rule requires the stickers to be placed according to that photo. They weren't. Pay the fine.

stltoday

Sticker Shock

Yes, it was current. it ends at the end of the month. I am replacing it tommorow. I took pictures of the way I had it and plan on going to court on Friday to fight it. any advice on how to argue it or fight it?

You Are Guilty

stltoday said:
Yes, it was current. it ends at the end of the month. I am replacing it tommorow. I took pictures of the way I had it and plan on going to court on Friday to fight it. any advice on how to argue it or fight it?
Let's try this one last time. The rule requires that the two stickers be places side-by-side, with the registration to the right. Yours weren't. You have no defense. You broke the regulation. You are guilty. Pay the fine.

About the only hope I can offer is to request a "settlement". They may knock 20% off the fine amount if you do so and then plead guilty. Otherwise, your only hope is a PVB ALJ who doesn't know the law regarding the stickers, which is maybe 2 out of the 80 they have.

Smiles

You Are Guilty said:
Uh, you're the one who posted the picture of what I mentioned in my very first post. The rule requires the stickers to be placed according to that photo. They weren't. Pay the fine.
Those are the instructions on the back of the sticker (and it's for a registration, not inspection sticker). I never said there was a rule to enforce it; it could be advisory only. I have no access to administrative rules and regulations for the state of New York DMV and what the OP was cited for doesn't say anything about an improperly located inspection sticker, just a current one.

A person should be guilty of what they're cited if they're going to plead to it. The OP may be guilty, but there's no available public information that I can find that says so.

You Are Guilty

Smiles said:
Those are the instructions on the back of the sticker (and it's for a registration, not inspection sticker). I never said there was a rule to enforce it; it could be advisory only. I have no access to administrative rules and regulations for the state of New York DMV and what the OP was cited for doesn't say anything about an improperly located inspection sticker, just a current one.

A person should be guilty of what they're cited if they're going to plead to it. The OP may be guilty, but there's no available public information that I can find that says so.
For starters,
http://nysdmv.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nysdmv.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=225&p_created=1001602540&p_sid=ZAPAHJfi&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PWRmbHQmcF9ncmlkc29ydD0mcF9yb3dfY250PTMwJnBfcHJvZHM9JnBfY2F0cz0wJnBfcHY9JnBfY3Y9JnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9YW5zd2Vycy5zZWFyY2hfbmwmcF9wYWdlPTEmcF9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD1pbnNwZWN0aW9uIHN0aWNrZXI*&p_li=&p_topview=1

I hate to say it, but "trust me" on this one. It's one of the PVB quirks. There is no actual written statute that says the locations required. It's derived from Commissioner's decisions which state that the DMV has the authority to dictate the proper placement of the stickers via VTL306-b, which it does via 4-08(j)(3)-(7) of the NYC parking rules and that picture (which remains on stickers even to date).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">