• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NYC parking - fire hydrant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jay1795

New York City parking ticket. Received ticket for parking within 15 feet of fire hydrant - ticket says 210 pm received second ticket at 340pm same day. Is defense on second ticket that I had already one 90 minutes earlier?

You Are Guilty

New York City parking ticket. Received ticket for parking within 15 feet of fire hydrant - ticket says 210 pm received second ticket at 340pm same day. Is defense on second ticket that I had already one 90 minutes earlier?
Legally? Nope.

But you can try arguing that the tickets are both close in time and hope for a sympathetic ALJ. However, last I heard, this was unlikely to work for tickets more than 1 hour apart. But since you have nothing to lose by asking, you might as well try.

Good luck. (And stop blocking hydrants).

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Went to a training class given by PVB folks once. We were told that as long as the violations were issued at least twenty minutes apart they were good to go and wouldn't get dismissed.

Learn a (expensive) lesson and stop parking close to hydrants.

You Are Guilty

It seems the "time between violations" is a bit of a moving target. I've seen 5 minutes apart upheld and I've seen 2 hours apart dismissed. Regardless of what their current "rule" is, it seems the ALJ's have a lot of leeway to do whatever they want. (Which is why I am consistently astonished at how some people act like complete a-holes as soon as they sit down. If I can hear you yelling from down the hallway, you don't have to be psychic to know you're probably going to lose the argument).

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Yes, obviously nothing is set in stone and the ALJ's do indeed have their own playbooks. My impression at the time was that we were given guidelines to follow and it was as stated a majority of the time.

You never know what might happen at a hearing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">