• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NYC Parking, pedestrian ramp

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fatwillc

What is the name of your state? NY

I got a $165 for parking in front of a pedestrian ramp.

It was an electronically printed ticket, however it was fed wrong and my Plate, CD, Exp. Date, State, Plate Type, VIN#, and both Violation and Place of Occurence are completely illegible.

Do I have a shot at getting off the hook? And if I should fight it, should I mail it or go in person?

Thanks in advance,
Will

Last edited:

You Are Guilty

This one is hit or miss. The law says you're supposed to have illegible tickets dismissed. However, since it's the computerized ones, you can now look them up on the PVB website a day or two after they're issued and get a completely legible copy, so more often than not, you don't win with the "I can't read it" defense. And since the PVB has the correct info on there, even if you can't read it, you can rest assured that they will attach the fine+late fee+penalty to your plate/car should you fail to pay it.

If you go down to a PVB office and ask for a "settlement", they will look the ticket over for you before an actual hearing and advise whether it's dismissable or not. And if not, they usually offer 25% off the fine just for showing up, so it might be worth it to do so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">