• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NYC parking, school vs. street cleaning signs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gracewildhack

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

New York.

The NYC zone in which I parked (and was ticketed) displayed two signs on one post, both applicable to the space. One, a street cleaning sign with arrows pointing both east and west, prohibits parking Monday and Thursday between 11:00 A.M. and 12:30 P.M. The other, which I believe to be recently installed so as to extend a previously short no-parking strip in front of a school, is above the first and reads "No parking 7 A.M. to 4:00 P.M. school days".

Now, I contend that the two signs are in conflict, and unnecessarily so. Even though both are framed in the negative, when I see the street-cleaning sign, what I am seeing is, It's OK to park here till the next street cleaning, and I am not likely to be on the lookout for another sign which says, Oh, no, you can't. The conflict could be eliminated were the street cleaning sign to display only one arrow, pointing away from the (newly-minted) school zone. There is no need for two signs governing the same space because the school-day sign alone suffices for the school zone. By my reckoning there is no time at which the street-cleaning sign's prohibition would apply when the school-day sign would not also apply, since apparently school days are all five weekdays year-round except for holidays that are also recognized, I'm pretty sure, by the street-cleaning folks.

Do I have a defense?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

New York.

The NYC zone in which I parked (and was ticketed) displayed two signs on one post, both applicable to the space. One, a street cleaning sign with arrows pointing both east and west, prohibits parking Monday and Thursday between 11:00 A.M. and 12:30 P.M. The other, which I believe to be recently installed so as to extend a previously short no-parking strip in front of a school, is above the first and reads "No parking 7 A.M. to 4:00 P.M. school days".

Now, I contend that the two signs are in conflict, and unnecessarily so. Even though both are framed in the negative, when I see the street-cleaning sign, what I am seeing is, It's OK to park here till the next street cleaning, and I am not likely to be on the lookout for another sign which says, Oh, no, you can't. The conflict could be eliminated were the street cleaning sign to display only one arrow, pointing away from the (newly-minted) school zone. There is no need for two signs governing the same space because the school-day sign alone suffices for the school zone. By my reckoning there is no time at which the street-cleaning sign's prohibition would apply when the school-day sign would not also apply, since apparently school days are all five weekdays year-round except for holidays that are also recognized, I'm pretty sure, by the street-cleaning folks.

Do I have a defense?
If you parked there between 11 am and 12:30 pm on a Monday or a Thursday, or if you parked there between 7 am and 4 pm on a school day, then no, you don't have a defense.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">