• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NYC - parking ticket with no fine specified

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

johnla

What is the name of your state? New York

Hi guys,

Is it possible that I have a defective ticket if there's no fine being specified on the ticket? It was the holiday season and in the underground parking a car was leaving a corner spot and I was there first.. I saw another car make a move for my spot from the other side of the spot so I zoomed right in. Little did I know I zoomed into a handicap spot! I left feeling like a champ and came back feeling like a fool.

Anyways, the ticket has the "Other" violation checked off and reason was "Non designated Space".. The officer didn't write anything in the fine field. Do I have any outs here?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Much appreciated,
John

johnla

Call the parking bureaucrats and ask the fine amount.
That's the other thing, I tried to do that, but there's no phone number! Just addresses on the back. Could it be that I MUST show up in court or something? They dont do that for parking tickets, right?

Thanks again

seniorjudge

That's the other thing, I tried to do that, but there's no phone number! Just addresses on the back. Could it be that I MUST show up in court or something? They dont do that for parking tickets, right?

Thanks again
From what I read on this forum, NYC is nuts about parking tickets.

You best be finding something out about this one.

johnla

Actually, I live in NYC but I drove out to an upstate NY mall and got this ticket. Some town called Clarkstown. I'm not sure that helps but it's not in NYC. Sorry for the misleading title.

The code on the ticket is "278-16B".. I don't know if that's helpful information either. I really hope it's not the case that I have to go to a court over this.. That'd be cruel and unusual punishment in itself.

johnla

OK, I googled the Court's phone number and found out that it's a $20 ticket. This isn't specified on the ticket. Would I have a case for a defective ticket?

johnla

I see. Thanks SeniorJudge! This forum is lots of help!

$20 isn't too bad.. living in NYC, i was expecting $120 or something like that.

You Are Guilty

I see. Thanks SeniorJudge! This forum is lots of help!

$20 isn't too bad.. living in NYC, i was expecting $120 or something like that.
$180, actually.
http://www.nyc.gov/html/dof/html/parking/park_tickets_violations.shtml
(Also note code 27 refers to off-street handicap parking).

Upstate fines are nice though. I recall going to Lake George some time in the early 90s where the town was handing out $3 parking tickets for expired meters, and people were absolutely livid over them. So if Clarkstown only wants $20, pay 'em and run.

patstew

I recall going to Lake George some time in the early 90s where the town was handing out $3 parking tickets for expired meters, and people were absolutely livid over them.
Huh. In my city, a few years ago when our expired meter tickets went from $3 to $5, the locals screamed like banshees.

Everything is relative.

Raqui

I would think you have a case for dismissal. How can you pay a ticket with no ticket ammount? I would try it if he can write out everything then he can write out the ammount. worse comes to worse you have to pay it later. But not filling out the ticket properly is a big thing. if you went to court and the police offer cant remember something they will throw out the case. How can you forget to put the fine on the ticket and then give it? Werid.

moburkes

I would think you have a case for dismissal. How can you pay a ticket with no ticket ammount? I would try it if he can write out everything then he can write out the ammount. worse comes to worse you have to pay it later. But not filling out the ticket properly is a big thing. if you went to court and the police offer cant remember something they will throw out the case. How can you forget to put the fine on the ticket and then give it? Werid.
So, you're saying that it is the ticket writer's responsibility to KNOW the exact fine? Not. Don't try again. Please.

Raqui

It is a defiant question I would ask. If you dont have an ammount how do you pay. You are allowed many options to pay. What if you cant get off work to pay this ticket. How do you pay a ticket that has no ammount. How do you give a ticket if you dont know the ammount of the fine? Did the offcer radio in to the precient and get an ammount for this violation? If they can call to do checks on people why cant they call in to get a ticket ammount if they happen to not know the ammount. I would ask the judge those questions.

It is like saying you have to pay the price for something you did wrong but i dont know what price you have to pay.

I would at the very least ask if I could get it dissmissed. Worst comes to worst you have to pay it later. Best outcome you dont pay.

moburkes

It is a defiant question I would ask. If you dont have an ammount how do you pay. You are allowed many options to pay. What if you cant get off work to pay this ticket. How do you pay a ticket that has no ammount. How do you give a ticket if you dont know the ammount of the fine? Did the offcer radio in to the precient and get an ammount for this violation? If they can call to do checks on people why cant they call in to get a ticket ammount if they happen to not know the ammount. I would ask the judge those questions.

It is like saying you have to pay the price for something you did wrong but i dont know what price you have to pay.

I would at the very least ask if I could get it dissmissed. Worst comes to worst you have to pay it later. Best outcome you dont pay.
You pick up the yellow pages. You look up the court's phone number. You call it. You ask who do you speak to in order to find out the fine. You pay it. Its really very simple. If you can't do the above, then you need to stop driving.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">