• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NYC parking ticket question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

moonstone

Hello. I live in New York. This is my first ticket. I saw a car drive off from a spot in the middle of the street. So I went to park there. Then I went to look at the signs and noticed that it said, "No Parking Anytime". It was for two spots in the middle of the street. I had to move my car but I couldn't start it and I was in a panic. I didn't have a cell phone so I went to find a pay phone. When I came back, I saw the ticket. Is there any way I can fight the ticket or should I just pay? Thank you.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hello. I live in New York. This is my first ticket. I saw a car drive off from a spot in the middle of the street. So I went to park there. Then I went to look at the signs and noticed that it said, "No Parking Anytime". It was for two spots in the middle of the street. I had to move my car but I couldn't start it and I was in a panic. I didn't have a cell phone so I went to find a pay phone. When I came back, I saw the ticket. Is there any way I can fight the ticket or should I just pay? Thank you.
You parked there. Just pay it.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Following what someone else does is not always a good idea. The signs should have been very visible to you before you bothered parking in the space. Don't ever assume that it is legal parking just because others are parked there.

What ended up being wrong with the car? Do you have a receipt for repairs? For a tow?

While it may be a long shot, you could try to fight it based on the fact that your car was disabled. It's free to have a hearing by mail.

Remember to make copies of the ticket and any other documents you send in to the PVB for the hearing. Of course, if you have the time you can always have a walk-in hearing at any time by showing up at one of the borough centers listed on the reverse side of the ticket.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">