• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NYC : Tint ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mockbam5

Hi everyone and I would like to thank everyone for the free advice.

I have all my windows tinted 35% and I have a New Jersey License plate / License, It's legal to have your back windows tints as much as you want in NJ but the front windows are illegal. Anyways, I received four separate window tint tickets by one cop for each window. 2 front windows and 2 back windows. I asked the officer if he had jurisdiction to give me window tint tickets since I am out of state. He replied back by saying he believes in New Jersey only allows 70% and proceeded to write 4 separate tickets for each window. How do I fight this in court (regarding the back 2) and or even dismissing the whole case? If I cant dismiss the case, can I remove my front tint before trial so the court will dismiss the case? Just looking for sound legal advice as each ticket was $90! Ouch. I feel like he was taking advantage of his position as a police officer.

Thanks

BL

Hi everyone and I would like to thank everyone for the free advice.

I have all my windows tinted 35% and I have a New Jersey License plate / License, It's legal to have your back windows tints as much as you want in NJ but the front windows are illegal. Anyways, I received four separate window tint tickets by one cop for each window. 2 front windows and 2 back windows. I asked the officer if he had jurisdiction to give me window tint tickets since I am out of state. He replied back by saying he believes in New Jersey only allows 70% and proceeded to write 4 separate tickets for each window. How do I fight this in court (regarding the back 2) and or even dismissing the whole case? If I cant dismiss the case, can I remove my front tint before trial so the court will dismiss the case? Just looking for sound legal advice as each ticket was $90! Ouch. I feel like he was taking advantage of his position as a police officer.

Thanks

NEW YORK

Chapter 775, Title III, Article 9, Section 375, Subdivision 12-16

If you can prove ( through a reputable Auto shop invoice )the tints were removed you might get a break .

BL

What about the back 2 windows? Its legal in New Jersey to have tints on the back windows.
Rear sides - 70%

Back - Any %

However, if the rear window is tinted darker than the allowable 70 percent "light transmittance," the vehicle must have two side mirrors, allowing the driver to see the road and any traffic conditions behind him.

BL

Guys thats besides the point. I'm going to fight these tickets, whats should my strategy be?
I gave you a possible solution .

Just like a loud muffler , expired inspection,etc .

You take your invoice to the court and ask for leniency since the issue has been taken care of .

Hopefully the Judge is in a good mood ,and either dismisses or reduces your fine , since you spent money to take care of the issue .

Kiawah

If you leave tint on the back, then you have to defend and argue what percentage they are. So unless you have the receipts and can prove what percentage they are, and they are legal....then just pull everything off.

Show that you aim to comply, and hope for the best.

You Are Guilty

Did the officer measure the darkness of your tint (either with an over-the-window tint meter or the color slides to match up against non-opening windows)? Was the darkness level indicated on (all 4) of the tickets?

If no to either of those, you should fight the tickets as facially defective for failing to state a prima facie case (can't be guilty of having "too dark tint" if the tint isn't tested and noted to be above the legal limit).

(Legally, it's a cinch. As a practical matter, they'll probably toss 3 of the 4 tickets if you bring in some sort of repair records.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">