• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NYC- what makes a ticket "defective"?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NYGirl2007

NYC - New York

I just got a parking ticket (No parking sign).
I've searched nyc dept of finance's site and tried to search this forum for a link to see what kind of missing information is a ground for dismissal.
A link posted on this forum back in 2003-2004 is no longer valid.

My ticket is for "No standing" sign. However, my ticket is missing 'State of registration'. I would like to know if missing state info makes my ticket "defective"?

also, if you point me to url that description of what makes a ticket "defective" in nyc

thanks in advance

racer72

A defective ticket would have incorrect information that prevents you from presenting a valid defense to the citation or is blatantly incorrect in such a way that it could be easily defeated. There is no website that has a specific definition of a defective ticket, 2 judges in the same courthouse could use different definitions. The missing info for state of registration could hardly make a ticket defective, especially if the vehicle is licensed in the state in which the ticket was issued.

You Are Guilty

I did more digging because it feels to me that state of registration should be a valid reason for dismissal,
here is what i found.
http://www.theinsider.com/nyc/survive/008park.htm

anyone knows how to locate this info on official ny website?

thank you
That website is not too useful. Some parts are good, others, 100% incorrect (i.e. never contest by mail - always go in person).

Anyway, the information you're looking for is in this thread:
https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=323660

State of registration is not an automatic dismissal, but it's worth a shot.

NYGirl2007

It worked - ticket was dismissed.

I decided to go and try to argue my case.
As soon as a clerk looked at my ticket, he dismissed it based on missing state of registration.
Hope this info helps anyone who has similar defective tickets.

You Are Guilty

I decided to go and try to argue my case.
As soon as a clerk looked at my ticket, he dismissed it based on missing state of registration.
Hope this info helps anyone who has similar defective tickets.
Glad to hear it. The score is getting closer!

YAG: 2
PVB: 13,721,884

:D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">