• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NYS DMV Suspended registration question.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DKB827

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Situation:
I bought a car in my name, the Dealership registered it in my mothers name (this car was for her to use). She was to make the payments for the insurance and the car. She apparently let the insurance lapse in 2010 and did not turn the plates in. She recently lost her job so I had to take the car on. I planned on registering the car in my name and keeping it for myself.

the problem is....When I turned the plates in for her they told me the registration for the car is suspended for 480 days and that I will not be able to register the car even in my name.

this is a problem as I have no place to store this car for a year and I CANNOT sell it.

any advice on what I can do?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Where does the 480 days come from? I never heard of that. If the conditions of the suspension are satisfied and the suspension termination fee is paid then the suspension should be lifted.

If not, then you'd better find a place to store it. If not then your municipality will be impounding it.

DKB827

the suspension length is from the day of the insurance lapse to the day the plates were turned in at the DMV.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
the suspension length is from the day of the insurance lapse to the day the plates were turned in at the DMV.
So then it's over with.

The day that the insurance actually lapses is when the registration is suspended. You're saying that it ends when the plates are turned in which you already did.

You may have misunderstood DMV. It sounds to me that once you pay the termination fee the suspension will be lifted.

DKB827

I believe that is true on a license suspension. but this is the vehicle's registration. apparently it doesn't start to count down until the plates are turned in. according to the receipt I got from the DMV the suspension is over 6/2/2013

xylene

Honestly, you really need a traffic lawyer to help you and your mom out of this jam.

No doubt her drivers license is also suspended.

Don't go by what the DMV 'tells' you.

This is a serious violation, with huge fines and fees.

You need a lawyer.

DKB827

Honestly, you really need a traffic lawyer to help you and your mom out of this jam.

No doubt her drivers license is also suspended.

Don't go by what the DMV 'tells' you.

This is a serious violation, with huge fines and fees.

You need a lawyer.

She has already taken care of her license and suspension. she had to pay $50 in reinstatement fees and now has a restricted license.

the problem is mine now. the car is no longer in her possession and is now in mine. I wish to register it in my name at my address, she will no have anything to do with this car. the problem is apparently the registration is suspended for 480 days (I believe it is attached to the VIN). I have read some stuff around the web that NYS will allow the registration of the vehicle to someone who does not have the same last name and or the registered address is different from that of the suspended registration. and that the person registering the car will have to fill out a form (FS-2) stating that it is not in an effort to circumvent the restriction (Which it isn't) but I am not sure if this info is dated....

Last edited:

xylene

the problem is mine now. the car is no longer in her possession and is now in mine. I wish to register it in my name at my address, she will no have anything to do with this car. the problem is apparently the registration is suspended for 480 days (I believe it is attached to the VIN). I have read some stuff around the web that NYS will allow the registration of the vehicle to someone who does not have the same last name and or the registered address is different from that of the suspended registration. and that the person registering the car will have to fill out a form (FS-2) stating that it is not in an effort to circumvent the restriction (Which it isn't) but I am not sure if this info is dated....
It has nothing to do with the last name.

It is attached to the VIN/

Don't do this self help stuff.

Get a lawyer, or be prepared to pay 480 days of storage (plus fixing it up as cars fall apart + insurance as most storage places expect you to carry it.)

I assure you, getting a lawyer to help you will cost less than storage.

DKB827

It has nothing to do with the last name.

It is attached to the VIN/

Don't do this self help stuff.

Get a lawyer, or be prepared to pay 480 days of storage (plus fixing it up as cars fall apart + insurance as most storage places expect you to carry it.)

I assure you, getting a lawyer to help you will cost less than storage.

this is what I was referring to. (from the NYS DMV website)

If my registration is suspended for a lapse in liability insurance, can another person register the vehicle?
The DMV will not issue a new registration if the DMV determines that the purpose of the new registration is to avoid the suspension.

The DMV will not issue a registration if the applicant for the new registration:

has the same last name as the registrant whose registration is suspended, or
resides at the same address as the registrant whose registration is suspended.
The DMV will not issue a registration to any person unless that person makes a sworn statement on form FS-2. The statement certifies that the purpose of the application in not to avoid the results from the current suspension. The local DMV Office determines if the application will be accepted or rejected.

Form FS-2 is available only at a local DMV Office.

xylene

The DMV will not issue a registration to any person unless that person makes a sworn statement on form FS-2. The statement certifies that the purpose of the application in not to avoid the results from the current suspension. The local DMV Office determines if the application will be accepted or rejected.
This is what and why you need a lawyer to assist you.

So that you can file this sworn declaration without either being reject and/or possibly perjuring yourself in regards to your relationship with your mother.'

Plus a lawyer will be experienced with the people making the ruling and what they expect. You are almost completely in the dark.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">