• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NYS Expired Registration Ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jfavs19

Today I received a $65 ticket for expired registration. The kicker being that I already paid for and received my new registration, I just had not yet displayed the new one. Obviously the registration sticker displays a month and year prominantly and I thought I had until the end of the month under the previous sticker (not realizing that it actually expires on a particular day). I have a confirmation receipt from the DMV for when I paid the renewal fee well over a month ago, but unfortunately it is not dated. Do I have grounds for dismissal (by mail)? My thanks in advance.

You Are Guilty

The ticket is not for not "having" a valid registration, it is for not displaying one. Since you admitted you did not properly display a valid registration, you are guilty under the law. However, you can certainly plead not guilty, send in proof that you had the new reg, and cross your fingers that you get a sympathetic ALJ. (But I wouldn't hold my breath - the state needs money).

GoIllini

If this is NYC, they often offer a reduction in the fine if you have anything to fight the ticket with that isn't frivolous are willing to avoid the hearing and plead guilty.

That might be an option you should take a look at.

Apologies in advance if resurrecting an 11-day-old thread is taboo.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">