• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Obtaining Drivers License when suspended

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yshepard

What is the name of your state? VA
I had a NC CDL drivers license that was to expire on 8/28/06 and went to the DMV in VA to get a VA license but was unable to because my NC license was suspended until 9/21/06. On 9/23/06 went to VA DMV and they issued me a CDL license and I had to give them my NC license. I had asked the VA DMV multiple times if my CDL's would still be valid even though my NC license was going to expire. I was told I had up until a year of the expiration date to get a valid VA license. I had my VA license suspended after this point and when I went to pay my reinstatement fee, I was told I had to take my CDL tests all over again because I had surrendered an expired NC license. I would not have been able to renew my license in NC or VA before it expired due to the suspension. Can the DMV really do this? After several visits to the DMV and calls, my issue has gone from surrendering an expired license to now they are trying to say that NC should have never issued a CDL license due to a DUI on my record, which I took the required classes, and that I should not be issued a valid VA license until 2008 due to rapid point violations. Does anyone know what the rules are for getting a valid license when it has been suspended? I get a different answer every time I go to the DMV or call.:eek:What is the name of your state?

FlyingRon

I'm confused about your whole timeline here. What licenses did you have and when were they suspended and when did they expire? When did you move to Virginia?

You can only reinstate a VA license without the test (this is what you have a year to do).
You can only get a VA license without taking the test if you have a valid (not-suspended or
expired) out of state license.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">