• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Officer charged me with wrong statute

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

USFBull

Hi everyone,

I am in Florida. A couple weeks ago I was pulled over for having an expired tag. It had been about 5 months expired (car was broken for almost all of that time). Previously, a couple years ago, I had another expired registration ticket but that time it was only by about 1 month. Anyways, the officer charged me with violating FL statute 320.07(3)(C) which is below:

Any person whose motor vehicle or mobile home registration has been expired for more than 6 months, upon a second or subsequent offense, commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

Now, clearly this is wrong since I have never once had expired registration for over 6 months (let alone twice). My question is: can I get this completely dismissed, and would I be liable for court fees? I have an arraignment hearing coming up on valentines day because of this officer's mistake (my charge should be 320.07(3)(A) which wouldn't even require a court appearance.. FRUSTRATING)

Thanks for your help

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Go ahead and make your case at the hearing and see what the judge says.

No one can predict whether it will be dismissed or not. That's up to the judge.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">