• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

OLD parking tickets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kimel30

State of New Hampshire
Is there a statue of limitation on parking tickets in the state of NH?

Two days ago I received a visit from my local police seving me with a court date in another town. My brothers X-girlfriend got parking tickets in a vehicle I let my brother use (not Her) from 2003 to 2007. $355.00
I have never received any notification that I had any tickets on this vehicle. I was able to register this vehicle and my everyday vehicle and renew my lincense.
Don't they have to notify me? before taking me to court??
Do I have any recourse?
I spoke to the X and she pretty much said she had no money to give me to talk to my brother.
I myself do not have the money to pay this.

Help?? Kimel30

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The registered owner is responsible for the tickets. The statute of limitations runs from the time a "crime" occurs until the time that charges are filed. In other words, once the ticket was issued, the charges were filed (in a nutshell)

davidmcbeth3

Its unfortunate but the notification for you was the ticket applied to your car & that is all that is required.

$355 is not that bad .. sounds like 2 or 3 tickets. I would advise paying this as soon as possible before it goes through the roof.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I spoke to the X and she pretty much said she had no money to give me to talk to my brother.
So, did you talk to him? He shouldn't have been giving your car to anyone else to drive but he did so maybe he'll do the right thing.

It is your vehicle and the tickets are yours unfortunately. That's what happens when cars get "loaned" to others. It will only get worse if you fail to pay. Try to work out some type of payment plan if that's possible.

Kimel30

12 pages of tickets, 22 expired meter's in a parking garage and one $35.00 on street over night parking.

My Brother said he would help in anyway he could, but money is very tight.
I don't even have a vehicle to drive to court, my motor went in my vehicle last week!! I need a car to borrow!!

The X said she is 4 months pregnant and can hardly make her bills, so I am pretty much on my own.

If I can show my pay stubs that I was not in that location of the time of the fine and make my bother go to court to say he let his X drive the vehicle, maybe they will reduce??? I should drag her prego butt into court and she can tell them they are her tickets. Any chance they will make her pay for them?

See what being nice gets you!!! Never again.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
12 pages of tickets, 22 expired meter's in a parking garage and one $35.00 on street over night parking.

My Brother said he would help in anyway he could, but money is very tight.
I don't even have a vehicle to drive to court, my motor went in my vehicle last week!! I need a car to borrow!!

The X said she is 4 months pregnant and can hardly make her bills, so I am pretty much on my own.

If I can show my pay stubs that I was not in that location of the time of the fine and make my bother go to court to say he let his X drive the vehicle, maybe they will reduce??? I should drag her prego butt into court and she can tell them they are her tickets. Any chance they will make her pay for them?

See what being nice gets you!!! Never again.
YOU are on the hook for the tickets. YOU can go after the driver of the vehicle if you choose to do so, but the issuing authority is going to go after YOU.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
The car is yours and so are the tickets. You can't use the "I didn't park it there" excuse.

Your only recourse is to take your brother or his ex to court to try to recover the money. Good luck with that.

In any event YOU will have to pay the fines and since they are overdue you stand zero chance of getting any break or deal.

The only thing you can do is try to set up a payment plan to make it easier, if the court allows that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">