• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

open container

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mkathyf

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Ohio.
Anyone familiar with the Shaker Heights courts?

I am not trying to get out of anything...just need some information.

I made the stupid choice of walking from a friend's house to another friend's house, a few houses away, while carrying an open beer can.

Of course. College student. St. Paddy's day. Police!
I was ticketed for having an open container. No drunk charges. Just the open container.

I appear in court next month. My concern is that, although this is an MM charge in Ohio, Shaker Heights regards it as an MM4...which carries up to 30 days.

Should I just plead guilty or no contest and be done with it? My only concern is that about a year ago, I was walking home late at night and university police stopped me and ticketed me for "disorderly conduct". I was just walking alone. I wasn't charged with being drunk, but they said "I could fall off the sidewalk and hurt myself". (even though I had already jogged/walked about 2 miles) Anyway, that MM charge is a MM3 charge in Shaker Heights. I had an attorney and got off with a fine.
I can't afford an attorney this time....plus, I am guilty, anyway.

So....anyone know about the Shaker Heights courts regarding this or have any advice or opinion on how it might turn out? Just worried. (I am graduating this May)

Banned_Princess

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Ohio.
Anyone familiar with the Shaker Heights courts?

I am not trying to get out of anything...just need some information.

I made the stupid choice of walking from a friend's house to another friend's house, a few houses away, while carrying an open beer can.

Of course. College student. St. Paddy's day. Police!
I was ticketed for having an open container. No drunk charges. Just the open container.

I appear in court next month. My concern is that, although this is an MM charge in Ohio, Shaker Heights regards it as an MM4...which carries up to 30 days.

Should I just plead guilty or no contest and be done with it? My only concern is that about a year ago, I was walking home late at night and university police stopped me and ticketed me for "disorderly conduct". I was just walking alone. I wasn't charged with being drunk, but they said "I could fall off the sidewalk and hurt myself". (even though I had already jogged/walked about 2 miles) Anyway, that MM charge is a MM3 charge in Shaker Heights. I had an attorney and got off with a fine.
I can't afford an attorney this time....plus, I am guilty, anyway.

So....anyone know about the Shaker Heights courts regarding this or have any advice or opinion on how it might turn out? Just worried. (I am graduating this May)
I don't suggest you do anything without speaking with a local attorney.

if you cannot afford one, then ask the court to appoint one for you.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
You posted this in the Vehicle Law section. Since you can't seem to pay attention to something that simple it would be a good idea to seek the assistance of an attorney.

mkathyf

I have never understood why some people on this forum feel the need to put people down, as though they are superior and have never made a mistake.
For your information, this seemed to be the best forum for the type of ticket I received.
My ticket falls under "traffic". as you can see, this forum is for "traffic law - parking tickets and non-moving violations.
Perhaps, instead of being so pompous, you could be helpful in informing me which forum would be best.
This is what is wrong with the world today. There don't seem to be enough people willing to give a kind word...or to help people when they need help. Why do some people always want to elevate themselves by putting others down?

Again, I ask. Why did you feel compelled to reply by insulting me, instead of telling me that I may find better answers in another forum....and then tell me which forum.

alex44

you are

to the Highwayman you are - A pompous ass, also ignorant, a highwayman in the past was a criminal who robbed coaches - Do You? LMAOROTF
A.:p

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">